Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyfisher117

Ive turned a few more pens since my first post on here and did my first acrylic and ive got to say that i enjoy turning acrylic more than wood just because its quick and easy to turn and its easy for me to get a nice finish on. Ive had orders off the walls from classmates wanting pens now. :biggrin:

Anyways im wanting to make a slim line mechanical pencil but im curious as to how hard are they to put together? are they pretty much like the twisty pens where you push the nose cone in push the motor in push the end and clip in and your set? or do you have to find tune them?

And are clicky pens and pencils much harder to put together?

Im thinking this metal

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-PCLA2BT.html

With this color acrylic

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/WXWEB08.html

just curious what you guys all think about that combo for startin on for now?

Oh and heres my first acrylic... i didnt choose the best color of metal for the "super hero" plastic but its still pretty neat only think about it thats bad is our drill bit at school is getting dull and it heated up inside a little bit so there are small cracks on the inside.

pen010.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Pencils are no more difficult to make or assemble than pens. They do assemble somewhat differently but follow the instructions and you will have no problems. Be aware that the 7mm pencil mechanisms are not the most reliable and can be somewhat problematic at times. I can't really remember a pencil I've sold except for the pentel pencil conversions I do. I just don't have requests for pencils. When I do I suggest a style that uses the Schmidt pencil mechanism and the Perfect Fit convertible is my favorite.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

flyfisher117

Do you think id be better off just turning pens? because i use them everyday almost and i dont really want to spend the money on one just to have it fail on me and quit working.

its_virgil

Here is what I do. I have a pen and matching pencil in several kits (not slimlines) that I keep in case I have a request for a pen and pencil set. I do not make pencils and offer them for sale simply because I have almost no requests for pencils or pen/pencil sets. You may find a need for pencils or pen/pencil sets in your market area. If you do some searching on the forum for pencils you will find that the slimline pencil gets the most negative comments. My experience with them is that some work fine others start giving problems. Order yourself a slimline pencil and give it workout and see what you think about them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Do you think id be better off just turning pens? because i use them everyday almost and i dont really want to spend the money on one just to have it fail on me and quit working.

zig613

Flyfisher...

I have made a few of the PSI slimline (titantium gold) pencils. I have sold a few in pen/pencil combinations. But as Don said... I too don't get too many requests for a pencil.

I have one on my desk at work and at home, they are about 3 years old, and they both get a fair amount of use. No problems yet. One thing... use quality lead refills. The Walmart cheap lead refills from China have a tendency to break easily.

Follow the PSI instruction sheet and you shouldn't have any problems putting it together.

Wade

flyfisher117

Hmm thanks for the input guys. I think im going to just turn out a couple of the black pens see how durable the finish is and try to sell them for a dollar or two profit to friends and family and then ill give a pencil or two a go and see what happens. :)

Top Bottom