Pencil sold, now how do I make it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Need some help here!

Had a lady stop at the booth this weekend. Since we were bored stiff, I got into a lengthy conversation.

She has severe arthritis and found my larger version of a cigar pen comfortable, but she wants a pencil. Further, she makes lots of mistakes, so the eraser is VERY important to her. Ideally, she would like it not to have a cap over the eraser. The obvious answer is to make a cigar pencil. If anyone has another answer, I would be interested. I will check the cigar pencil mechs tonight (they are at home and I haven't turned one in over 5 years so I don't remember the eraser).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Czarcastic

Ed:
I have a cigar pencil sitting in front of me, and yes, the eraser is UNDER the cap. However, it looks to me like a little modification might solve the problem.
As far as I can tell, you would have to shorten the top (clip end) by about 1/2" to 3/4" and leave off the clip and cap. Then, the eraser should stick out the top. You can probably taper the cap end to allow for a good fit between the blank and the eraser.

HTH.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
ED=
I don't know how much modifying you might want to do,but I just looked at the PSI Big Ben pencil on their library.
Without seeing the ctual pieces I don't know if this will work.
Mount the finial on an extra tube,chuck it in a Jaacobs cuck on the lathe.
Turn off the black psrt using an old skew and sand to fit inside a custom finial.
The finial would be open at the end where an eraser could be inserted.
The stock eraser could be left under the cap as a spar but I don't know if it will fit in the recess of the finial
Clear as mud huh?

M

Mudder

I think Eagle is on the right track:

Download this to follow what I'm going to say,

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B23.pdf (instructions from woodcraft)

The bushing (G) fits ovet the Eraser cap (E) and that is what works the Pencil mechanism (D)

The Cap (H) should be easy enough to drill out and you might even find that it will handle the Scripto size erasers.

I know that I have a Cigar pencil kit at home and if it would help I'll take some pictures when I get home but be advised it will be after 8:00 pm eastern time.

Mudder

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey guys, thanks for taking an interest!!

You are both going the direction that I thought I would have to take. Start out with a "stock" eraser from Office Depot and build a kit around it. Hopefully, I will get the eraser today and start the process-but I will keep on this thread to update and take suggestions!!

Thanks again,

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Michael,

If I get this to work, I will most definitely post it. There is a market for pencils, and the eraser is a frequent complaint-so if it turns out (pun intended), I will let everyone know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom