Pencil Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

The Pentel is the only .3 mechanism that I know of that has been adapted to a turned pen. Process is the same as for the .5. Actually I'm pretty sure you can just swap the mechanisms at will. I'll check if I can find one of my .3's tomorow.

DurocShark

I didn't see .3 Sharp Pentels... The .3's had a different nib and grip in the ones I saw. I would LOVE to be wrong though!

Pens By Scott

So, there are no kits, but taking existing commercially made pencils, and stripping off the plastic sleeve can be done? How would that work with brass tubes, etc? Get a .5mm/.7mm kit and take all components except the Mechanical Mechanism?

sbell111

I didn't see .3 Sharp Pentels... The .3's had a different nib and grip in the ones I saw. I would LOVE to be wrong though!
The P200 series pencils are the ones that are easily convertible; P203, P204, P205, P207, P209. The last number in the item number is the size of the lead.

I'm pretty sure that P203 was discontinued a while back, but it can still be found online. P204 is only available in the Japan market.

Last edited:

sbell111

So, there are no kits, but taking existing commercially made pencils, and stripping off the plastic sleeve can be done? How would that work with brass tubes, etc? Get a .5mm/.7mm kit and take all components except the Mechanical Mechanism?
Yup. There's a couple articles in the library regarding this. Here's the first one that I came across.

Last edited:

Chasper

I've tried to make .3 pencils a few times and finally decided that it was way too much work for what I could sell them for. Koh-I-Noor used to make a .3 that was assembled in the same principal as the Pentel Sharp. It would work if you could find some, but I didn't have any success when I looked.

The primary supplier of .03 for drafting is a company called Alvin. I have an Alvin .3 lead holder laying around my workbench that I've been planning to turn a barrel for, I haven't done it but as I remember it looked do-able. I know that Alvin also makes some automatic .3 mechanical pencils.

Pens By Scott

Yup. There's a couple articles in the library regarding this. Here's the first one that I came across.

Steve,
Thanks for pointing this tutorial out, looks interesting. I will be checking with my client, see what their thoughts are on pricing before i jump right in though...

Top Bottom