Pencil Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pens By Scott

Let me start out with "I'm not sure this is the right place for this question"

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with the Executive Twist Pencil kits? I have a customer that has bought one, and is having issues with the mechanism. When they run the lead down, and then try and replace it, from the tip end, and reverse the twist, it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone encounter this? Any fixes (other than not make this kit in the future)? Any modifications that can be done to this kit to change out the mechanism with another kits mechanism?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSurette

I know this post is almost 4 months old but I am having a similar problem with the twist pencil kit. The lead will not extend or retract when assembled in the body. It works perfectly outside of the body. I have five of the kits and interchanging the parts does not help. Anybody had similar problems?
Thanks

sbell111

I haven't made the Exec pencil, but I know that the pen kit is super sensitive to blank length. If you shorten the tube at all during milling, it could cause problems. I can see how a pencil kit would be similarly affected, only more so.

DSurette

I found out what was happening with my pencil. The tube on the cap that is supposed to turn the pencil mechanism wasn't. The mechanism was a little stiff and the tube was slipping. I tried squeezing the tube to tighten it but going through the centering plug makes it round again. So what I did was to put a small round dowel in the cap tube and make several dimples in the tube with a center punch. Works great!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have seen similar problems

I ruined a Rhodium Exec pencil for the same failure. It appears to be a design flaw. Mine would work perfectly outside and not move the lead at all when assembled. It's a mating problem between the tip and the pencil mechanism. On mine the tip went round and round and the lead went no where. Because of that although I think Exec's are great looking pen/pencils I won't make or sell the pencils.

CREID

Has anyone talked to the manufacturer or retailer about this. It would be interesting to know if they are aware of the problem or maybe have a simple fix. I really like the Exec. pen and have a pencil that I have not made yet.
Curt

LarryDNJR

I have just run into the same problem with 2 Executive Pencils. I can't believe they are still selling them with this issue. At any-rate I was thinking trying the dimple idea myself then read these posts so I might give it a try to at least salvage the sets I'm working on.

Shannon

I won't do anymore twist pencils. I have had too many problems with them. With my cigar twist the lead will extend but as soon as you put any pressure on it, it will slide back in. At first I thought it was an overall length issue, but after messing around with it a while, it was just a bad transmission.

No more.

Top Bottom