Pencil Problems!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

I have made several pencils and have not been satisfied yet. The click end of the pencil always seems to have to be too deep in the top barrel of the pen in order for the nib to screw on like it should. I first thought that I had gotten a bad kit with the wrong size brass tubes, but I have made 4 pencils now and they all turn out the same. It is almost like I need to cut another 1/4 inch off the tubes before I start. Anyone else experience the same thing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MobilMan

Wish I could help you. I've done about a dozen pencils and all came from Woodcraft. No problems. The only thing is the last I got were the 5mm instead of 7mm lead & it breaks too easily. I didn't notice the diff til I used one. And the last pencil I made was way over a year ago. The pencil tubes are quite a bit shorter than the pen tubes.

hilltopper46

Some of the pencil kits use shorter tubes than the pens. So, if you are just grabbing a couple 7mm tubes from your stash to make the barrels and then try to assemble a pencil, you will have too long a barrel assembly when you put it together.

Edit: This is from memory...the PSI kits use the same length tubes as the pens. The Berea kits use a shorter tube for the pencil than for the pen.

Rudy Vey

The only good pencil kits are the ones using the Schmidt twist mechanism: Perfect Fit Convertible, El Grande from Berea and the Gent Jr pencil from CSUSA. One can also modify the Sierra with a Schmidt mechanism to become a pencil.

nightowl

I have realized that the tubes are shorter and I am using the shorter tubes. I think that there is a problem with the kit design. I believe that the pencil cap should stick out more in order for the eraser to be more prevelant. I think it would make a nicer pencil.

Top Bottom