Pencil Lead Sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sawzall

Is there a cross reference list anywhere that tells you what size each type of pencil kit uses? I am new to this hobby/business but have jumped in with both feet. I have a customer that wants a pencil with a specific size lead as that is what she has always used. I have several different pencil kits from different places (Rockler/PSI/Berea/Woodcraft)but I have not looked up the refill sizes for each one. Just wodering if there is a reference chart somewhere or do I need to look up each one seperately?

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nellieteach

Here is an incomplete list that I have made. I do not know how accurate my info is since most is from reading the resellers' pencil descriptions. If there is a blank after the pencil kit name, it is because I didn't find/see the size or have not made the pencil to know what size lead it uses. Suffice it to say, after looking at the list most use a 0.7mm lead.
Nadine Nelson

Attachments

• Pencil Lead Sizes.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 385

Allenk

Thanks, Nadine. I'm putting that in my info file.
Tim, I just copied this from the previous post about Pencil Leads:
Leads are available in (softest) 9B 8B 7B 6B 5B 4B 3B 2B B HB F H 2H 3H 4H 5H 6H 7H 8H 9H (hardest).
My only problem is that I don't know where they are available.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Most stationary stores carry leads for pencils - in different hardnesses and sizes. If not you can probably find them online.
Also you might look at suppliers who cater to drafting folks. Where I worked the draftsmen always seemed to have a half a dozen or so different hardnesses.

nava1uni

While it is true that lead comes in all of those hardnesses, they do not come for mechanical pencils. Drafting pencils are different in that they are another size from the pencil kits which range from .5mm; .7mm; .9mm; 3 mm and 5.6mm. Drafting pencil lead is totally different. I have only seen lead for these sizes in H, HB. You could try a store like Pearl or Blick online.

PapaTim

Here is an incomplete list that I have made. I do not know how accurate my info is since most is from reading the resellers' pencil descriptions. If there is a blank after the pencil kit name, it is because I didn't find/see the size or have not made the pencil to know what size lead it uses. Suffice it to say, after looking at the list most use a 0.7mm lead.
Nadine Nelson

An addition for your file. Sierra's can be easily modified for .5mm or .7mm Schmidt pencil mechanisms. I get mine from Berea. See the tutorials in the IAP library by Scott Hettel.

Amazon has replacement leads in .5mm and .7mm in a variety of hardnesses.

KenV

I am familiar with the 2 mm leads (same size as used in most drafting lead holders) in the PSI power pencil -- will have to look around for the 3mm -- Found the mini sketch --

By the way, while you can use the cap to sharpen leads, that is a messy way of working, and the hands always seem to get some of the detritus on them -

Drafting folks have used sandpaper for decades, and here are some sharpeners that have capture cups for the shavings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom