pencil lead size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
To those of you who make and sell pencils. In your experience which one is most asked for -- .5mm or .7mm lead [?] I prefer the .7mm because I break the .5mm leads quite regularly. I guess I shouldn't try to engrave the paper with them and use a lighter touch.
Thanks, George :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RLKnecht

George,
I make all my sets from the slimline pen and pencil kits which are 0.7mm. I have had customers say that they can't use the 0.5mm for the same reason you sited, too heavy of a hand.
Rick

driften

For my self I only use .5mm, the .7mm is just too thick for me. But to each their own. I have no idea what the largest group of customers might want. Heck that can even be diffrent for diffrent areas. You may just have to see what your customers tend to like better.

Leslie

Depends on who you sell them to I guess? I would use both.

Im a pencil( portrait) artist so I have been bugging Jay to get that pencil he listed above to try out.Usually I have to sharpen the lead on a sanding stick.
I use the 0.5 for very small fine detail
A lot of artists use mechanicals or a mechanical clutch.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Where can I find .5mm kits? Also, What is the smallest size available in kit form? I need to make a few of those as they are more popular in Japan. The .7mm doesn't write kanji too well.

I bought a few .7mm back in January and that was all that I could find through several searches.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Lee, CSUSA use to offer a "Pentel" kit. I believe it's been discontinued, but there is an excellent tutorial by Don Ward (its_virgil) on how to make them. http://www.penturners.org/content/pentel.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom