Pencil kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrc

I do not make pencils because all the kits seened cheap and do not last very long before they quite working. I seem to remember someone found a kit that used the guts from an over the counter pencil that might of been called a pentel or something like that.
Was I dreaming?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

There are a number of pen/pencil kits out there that use the excellent "Schmidt" pencil mechanism. These are much, much better than the click type for the slimline style or the screw type that are available from Berea for the Euro and Am Flattop style (must refill a lead from the front and this type of mechanism is really crap). The pen or pencils that use the Schmidt type are:
Perfect Fit convertible and El Grande Ball point pens,
both are from Berea and can be easily converted from pen to pencil by just changing the refill (you can have the mechanism on hand in case someone wants a pencil). The Gent Jr from CSUSA comes also as a pencil that uses this type of refill, but it is a dedicated pencil kit, whereas the two earlier mentioned are convertibles.
The Schmidt mechanism are great quality, I use a pencil with this mechanism for quite some time and never have had a problem. My experiences with the other pencil types are not very good. I had about half of the ones I sold returned to me due to failure of the mechanism, so I pretty much gave up making pencils.

driften

Question about the convertables.... I "assume" they do not have erasers? When you think about it what good is a pencil with no eraser?

I followed Griz's instructions and have a Schmidt mechanism that works in the Atlas and CSUSA's Americana Classic. What that needs is though is an eraser...

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by driften
<br />Question about the convertables.... I "assume" they do not have erasers? When you think about it what good is a pencil with no eraser?

I followed Griz's instructions and have a Schmidt mechanism that works in the Atlas and CSUSA's Americana Classic. What that needs is though is an eraser...

I too followed Griz's instructions for the pencil insert into an Atlas pen. Worked great, but no eraser.

Monty

driften

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Can you spell "Pink Pearl"???[:D][:D][:D]

OK, I'm ancient![B)]

Yes but most people don't want to carry a seperate eraser, or when giving a gift they don't think the person they are giving it to should have to carry a seperate eraser.

I am thinking on the Atlas you could turn a replacement for the metal top with an eraser fitted to it and since you could use the extra material left over from the body of the pen it would match nice.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
That is a great idea Jeff... I will have to look into that myself... the only thing you need to make sure of is that the replacement top is a tight fit so that the mechanism works, but since the cap does not have to be removed to replace the refill, you might actually be able to glue it in place...
MMMMMM More possibilities for different stuff and still no time to do them... [:(][:(]

melogic

I make the European pencils and everyone so far loves them. The only thing is, you have to pull the top half of the pen off to use the eraser. I made this comment to a teacher that I sold one to and her comment was "When you're good, you don't need an eraser!"[^]
The Euro kit from Woodcraft also uses a Schmidt mechanism.
Lou, What article? Was there supposed to be a link in your post or am I not seeing something?

MDWine

OK Mark... let's make sure I understand...
You're using the European pencils, and they have an eraser. Does that depend on the manufacturer or supplier? (PSI vs CSU vs BB) ???

I'd like to have a few pencils, but the slimlines leave me wanting. Not quite 'fine' enough, and no eraser!

Where does the Schmidt mechanism come from? I don't remember seeing it!

Thanks!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike the Schmidt mechanism is the pencil mechanism used for the Perfect Fit Convertible.. you can get them from Berea or Arizona Silhouette... I usually buy them from BB because I am usually getting other items and get some free eye candy in the process.. [;)] I believe they are about $3 ea.. a really good deal.. I have found that about 25% of the time they will work in a standard Cigar kit also.. you just need to be real careful about trimming the bottom tube... if you trim the tube too much the mechanism will bind.. but then you can always take a little off the top of the mechanism (similar to what I do for an Atlas, but no where near as much) and keep testing until it works smoothly... just lightly sanding the top a little.. It is a nice way to offer a Cigar pen and pencil set without having to purchase a Cigar pencil kit which is expensive.

melogic

Michael,
So far evey European pencil I have put together has an eraser. I purchase mine from Woodcraft, PSI, Berea. They take an 8mm drill bit and bushings for the pencil. I don't think I have put a pencil together that does not have an eraser. Are you getting some that don't have an eraser? I love the European pencil simply because it twists out and does not click. It is a very smooth operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom