pencil help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gc

I am trying to make a european style pencil from woodcraft(my first pencil try). One insert is longer and I assume that this goes on the working end( right/wrong) Also I don't know where the large ring bushing goes(same size as the center ring). enclosed is pic of the bushings, I assume I have them in prober position, but where does the narrow circular bushing fit in? thanks for much needed help.
Gary Clarke

200555211622_bushings.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Do you know if this kit cross references to anotuher suppliers kit? jsut hoping. I don't have any experience with woodcraft kits, and really don't think suggesting sticking with pens would be very helpful at this point.

JimGo

Gary, I haven't done one of these, but I think the loose band is for reference so you know how big to cut the tennon for the CB. I think it will fit over the middle bushing; once you turn the pen to size, slide that over the bushing and then turn a tennon in the upper ("cap") barrel so that ring fits. As for the other two, I can't tell from the pic, but does one of the bushings have a larger diameter than the other? If so, that's PROBABLY the one for the cap. One way to tell is to get out a micrometer and measure the diameter of both end bushings, and compare these with the diameter of one of the parts (cap/nib); one of the bushings should match the size of the part pretty closely, and the other should be off by a bit. If they are the same size, then I think they're basically interchangeable. I'd use the longer bushing farther away from the headstock (i.e. closest to the tailstock) in an attempt to add a bit more stability at that end.

Good luck!

gc

thanks alot guys. I am making a pen and pencil set for my wife's nephew high school graduation. you saved my bacon.

rtgleck

Gary... on the picture, it's either my imagination or on the right hand side it looks like there's somewhat of a different diameter than the rest... I think that's the end for the Ring.. as the others have said for making the tennon.

gc

Randy, all the bushings are the same diameter. I finished the pencil today and will do the pen tomorrow and will send a pic when finished. the directions from woodcraft were easy to follow. My mandrel wasn't quite long enough so I had to unscrew it a little to thread on the nut. I used a mandrel from Berea. The pencil turned out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom