Pencil eraser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wwhit

I do not know if this would be the correct forum,but here goes. In the past I saw an eraser pencil it would hold a long white eraser that could be advanced as needed. Have looked at most of the pencils, no eraser or such an odd size that no one could find a replacement. My question any kits where I could make an eraser pencil (no pencil lead, just an eraser). Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I do not know if this would be the correct forum,but here goes. In the past I saw an eraser pencil it would hold a long white eraser that could be advanced as needed. Have looked at most of the pencils, no eraser or such an odd size that no one could find a replacement. My question any kits where I could make an eraser pencil (no pencil lead, just an eraser). Thanks in advance.

Usually this type of eraser is found in art stores or at blueprint suppliers. May be even hobby or craft stores that sell painting supplies. If you could buy the eraser cheap enough, you could make your own blanks and advancement system. Don't believe I have ever seen a kit to make this type of eraser. Jim S

RedBeard

I had one of those erasers when I was taking drafting classes in college. It was plastic and ugly and just BLAH....If you find such a means to make one let me know.

Wct3

Usually this type of eraser is found in art stores or at blueprint suppliers. May be even hobby or craft stores that sell painting supplies. If you could buy the eraser cheap enough, you could make your own blanks and advancement system. Don't believe I have ever seen a kit to make this type of eraser. Jim S
Amazon sells Pentel extendable erasers in packs of three. Maybe enough to do some dissection to build your own.

Buffalo pencil holder ?

Bill,

Perhaps the "Buffalo" pencil holder from PSI would do the job. It's made to hold a wooden pencil. Don't know if diameters are right or not.

Yes, I use the Pentel click advance pencil erasers for drawings now and then, and love the clean erasing job it does.

Charlie

monophoto

I have a Pentel Clic ZE-21 eraser in front of me. I agree with Charles - they are next best thing to never making mistakes. The eraser is white vinyl - 1/4" diameter.

I suspect that it would be possible to duplicate the chintzy plastic design, but it would require more than simple turning. The mechanism involves a slider in a toothed groove that runs about 3/4 of the length of the plastic holder. A metal version of that might be fairly straightforward for the guys with numerical controlled machining capability, but I don't think I could turn an equivalent in wood.

monophoto

Been noodling over this one most of the day. The commercial plastic eraser holders use a ratcheted slider that fits into a groove molded in the side of the barrel. The toothed arrangement on the groove/slider makes it possible to adjust the position of the eraser in the barrel of the holder.

How to do that in wood?????

The barrel needs to be 1/4" ID (and perhaps a bit smaller - perhaps a D bit) so that friction helps hold the the eraser in the barrel.

One thought is to design the end of the barrel as a collet - after turning the barrel, chase threads on the outside, and then put a saw kerf from the end to a point about 1/2 - 3/4" inch back. Then, turn a second piece, and chase matching threads on the inside, so that when it is screwed onto the threaded end of the barrel, it tries to compress the barrel along the saw kerf, which then grips the eraser. The problem (in addition to actually executing it) would be to keep it from becoming too bulky.

Top Bottom