Pencil Consensus?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I frequently see posts about pencil kits giving problems.

Is there a consensus as to what kit or kits are better than others? Thinking along the lines of matching pen/pencil sets.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I've made four mechanical pencils (all from Woodcraft kits). Original problem was not understanding the directions and having to dismantle and redo kits. Second was the friction collar came loose and I had to glue it in place. Then the lead jammed in a pencil I had sold and I had to take it apart to clear it.

But don't go by me - I don't like mechanical pencils, don't use mechanical pencils, and only make them under extreme duress!!

Rudy Vey

There is absolutely one pencil kit on the market that is better than all the other ones! It is the so-called Perfect Fit Convertible pen/pencil that can be had from Berea. You can use it either as a pen or change the insert (refill) and use it as a pencil. The mechanism is made by Schmidt-Germany and so are the pencil inserts. I think a insert is somewhere around $3-4 and can be extra purchased. This is a great way to offer both, pen and pencils without making them dedicated when you turn them. A similar pencil is or at least was some years ago available from Woodcraft, using the same mechanism.
So far all my experience with pencils have been not very good - most of them came back for repair or exchange to another pen. The clicker mechanisms seem to give up pretty fast and the other type, the twist-type where one has to feed the new lead from the front are pretty awkward to use, i.e. refill a new lead.

PS: just saw that some pencils from CS are also utilizing this type of pencil mechanism.

Rudy

KKingery

The only pencils I've made so far, are the slimline style. Not the best kit I'm sure. But hey, when people ask for a matching pencil to their slimline pen, what you gonna do? Based on the review by Rudy, I might just order a few of those to try.

dougle40

I've never had any problems with either the slim line , click pencils or the Mont Blanc twist type . As for any others , I can't comment on them because I've not tried them .

pen-turners

I have made a few pencils and for ease of use and durability I prefer the Executive style pen and pencil kit. The nice thing about these kits is that the pen and pencil look alike so they make a nice matching set. The mechanism on this pencil is a twist in/out.

My other choice if you don't like the overall looks of the Executive pen/pencil is the Comfort Grip Pen/Pencil. These mechanisms work great and are a click mechanism. The only fallback I see is that the pencil is slightly longer than the pen when completed but otherwise it is still a great set!!

One consideration I always take into effect is whether a person will be carrying these in a buttoned pocket. The executive set does not fit well in the pocket because the clip is about 3/4 of an inch below the top of the pen. This makes the top stick out of your pocket and bulge up the pocket if it is buttoned. I am very familiar with this because I wear a Navy uniform every day. This is why, for general use I prefer the Comfort pen/pencil set for daily usage.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom