Pen Wizard Rope Twist problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KiwiBob

Forgive me if this has already been asked but I did search and couldn't find the answer.

I have the PW and Foredom Rotary tool set up using the Magnate 7597 cutting die.

I start with a .65" round blank. PW gearing set .64 TPI. index 3 (every 8th hole)

After several passes the peaks of the twist all have a small ridge left that requires removal by hand.

What am I doing wrong or maybe not doing correctly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

A photo/s of your results would help a lot, as the cuts may be too deep, not quite on line, there could be a lot of different reasons. how sharp is the cutter?
For sanding off, a sanding mop will take off the furry bits.
http://www.bealltool.com/products/penwizard/bits.php
*For pens I have made using this bit, I've set the Pen Wizard gear box to make 35 turns per inch. This looks about right to me, but other ratios can also be used. The diameter of the pen barrels should be about 9/16" to look like the pictured sample. After cutting, clean-up and sanding take a bit more time, but a nice effect can be achieved. - J.R. BeallKryn

Last edited:

KiwiBob

Thanks for the reply.
I will post a pic latter today.
Are you using the Magnate bit or the one from Beal Tools?

KiwiBob

Here are two pics of the same piece that shows how it looks straight off the PW.
This my better illustrate my problem.

Attachments

• untitled-07047.jpg
    untitled-07047.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 201
  • untitled-07045.jpg
    untitled-07045.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 183

KiwiBob

Link posted by Its_Virgil was not that helpful.
An explanation of why the
Designed for the Legacy bit™ in his link is better than the Magnate 7597 that I currently use and why it will solve my problem of the ridges.

They look like the same profile cutter just a different shaft diameter .

But hey thanks for answering anyway.

its_virgil

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=legach+mill+rope+twist

These videos are for a different mill but the info you need (I think) is there. I have to use the videos each time I use the rope twist bit with my Pen Wizard. Sorry I could not remember the details of now to set up the mill and bit and depth and pitch and ...

I do turn the blanks round first...to make the cutting easier.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

KiwiBob

Thanks for trying to help TonyL. I too thought that I may have gone too deep so did another blank and watched carefully as the edges of successive came together but all that happens is the unwanted ridge just gets higher.
I think the starting diameter of the blank may be the issue and was looking for feed back fro other PW users who have successfully made rope twists on their machines using the Magnate 7597 bit.
The video link was a little helpful but the Legacey machine is a bit different in that it is able to force the cutter into the material rather than relying on just the weight of the cutting head.
Thanks again for helping

KiwiBob

Hi Don the videos are a little bit helpful but the PW cutting head is not as ridged as the Legacey so is not able to force the cutter into the material with the same accuracy.
I suspect my problem may be the starting diameter of the already round blank and was kind of hoping other PW owners who had successfully made rope twists using the Magnate 7597 bit might have been able to help diagnose my problem.
Cheers and thanks for trying to help.

its_virgil

These suggestions are for the Sierra pen. I have successfully made a rope pen blank, several in fact, but it has been quite awhile ago. I turned the blank round to about .80 inches in diameter. Position the cutter with the tip just above the the Sierra bushing...I used a feeler gauge set to .006 inches or .102 mm. I followed the video from what I remember but I have to experiment each time I use the rope twist bit. I should make notes next time.

I set the PW to 1.5 inch pitch, or one revolution of the pen blank for the cutter travels 1.5 inches.

I also seem to have a small ridge on the top of each bind but it sands off quite easily. I do wish I could remember more. Maybe I can fire up my PW in a day or so and get you more detailed information.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• 20180610_165649.jpg
    20180610_165649.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 91

KiwiBob

Hi Don.
My set up regarding clearance between cutter and bushing is the same.
I will try again today using a larger diameter round blank and see how it goes and post a pic if it is more successful.
Cheers
Bob

Top Bottom