Pen Weights

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaywood1207

Is there a place where I can find finished pen weights? Please don't respond that it depends on the material used because I am aware of that. I am looking for just a general guideline.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

I don't recall anything showing weights of finished pens but here are a few I had close by:

hybrid cigar buckeye burl - 52 grams
acrylic cigar - 54 g
trustone Cambridge hybrid - 66 g
trustone Jr Statesman II rollerball - 60 g
acrylic Jr Statesman II rollerball - 54 g
walnut with Celtic knot inlay Jr Gent II rollerball - 50 g
walnut with Celtic knot inlay Sierra Elegant Beauty twist - 40 g
acrylic Elegant Beauty (Dayacom kit) - 42 g
acrylic button click cartridge - 38 g
desert ironwood long click - 36 g
resin slimline - 22 g
cherry Sierra twist - 36 g

Depends on the shape, too. Most of mine have just a bit of a "bulge" of material. Let me know if you're looking for weight of a particular style not mentioned -- I may have one.

Parson

As a general rule of thumb, the more the pen kit costs, the more the kit will weigh... this is my personal experience. The statesman and gentleman kits are the heaviest of the lot now that the lotus and emperor have been discontinued.

jaywood1207

Thanks for the replies. My customer has been buying 5 per month as promotional gifts but wants a pen that will work for either male or female and the female's are finding the sierra / EB (higher grade platings) too heavy. This is the style he originally selected.

I should have given more details in my original posts but it looks like I may have to look at Perfect Fit, Streamline, which I have done and can provide samples but was wondering if there was something else out there that might fit the weight he is looking for around the same price point. Some that piqued my interest were the twist Jr Gent and the twist triton if anybody has done them. I also want to stick with bk titanium, titanium gold, rhodium and possibly chrome- basically more durable finishes. I'm coming up a bit short on what to suggest to him.

Dave Turner

I include the weight on each of my pens with my web site description. Whenever I finish a pen I weigh and measure it. I figure it's a way for a person to compare a pen online to one they have in hand.

jbswearingen

I include the weight on each of my pens with my web site description. Whenever I finish a pen I weigh and measure it. I figure it's a way for a person to compare a pen online to one they have in hand.

This is a great idea! Hope you don't mind if I steal it from you...

JimB

I would think a Comfort pen, made without the rubber grip, would fall between the slim and sierra. I'm not sure if that is the same as the Perfect Fit.

terryf

Cigar bakelite 58.2g
Jr Statesman amalgam mutt 54.6g
jr gent acrylic 46.4
Orion chestnut 39.4g
Sierra ivory 52.1g
Jr gent ivory/gemsbok 53.1g
Zen amboyna 41.9
Imperial wood/acrylic 75.4g
Majestic ivory 96.3g
Atlas Zebra wood 36.1g
Baron teak 38.7g
Slimline segmented wood 30.4g
Slimline pink ivory 25.2g

Interesting obeservations - nice thread, thanks!

randywa

Twist Triton in acrylic 46.5g
Comfort with rubber grip in cedar 21.8g
Comfort without grip in cedar 22.1g
Ultra Cigar in concinna burl 55g
Cigar in Kinwood and Rosewood 47.5

PenMan1

Rule of thumb:
Slimes 20-30 grams
Sierra 35 -45 grams
Jrs 50-60 grams
Full size (staties/majestic/et al) 85 -115 grams

DAMHIKT!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would think a Comfort pen, made without the rubber grip, would fall between the slim and sierra. I'm not sure if that is the same as the Perfect Fit.

Bear in mind you are comparing a cross refill version (comfort) with a Parker style (Perfect fit).

7mm will, generally be lighter, but if they are accustomed to a Parker style refill, they may decide the weight was not so important when they write with a Cross style (not nearly as nice as the 9000, if you are using those refills)

Remind him they buy the pens to get a nice writing pen, so TRY whatever you are going to substitute before making a bunch of them.

FWIW!!

Ed

Chuck Key

By weight l to r.

2006101116452_WEIGHT.jpg

jaywood1207

Thanks for all of the comments and weights everyone. I met with the customer tonight and took samples of slims (thicker and thinner with no centre band on either), streamlines, euros, atlas, perfect fit, zen, and longwood click. He brought his secretary into his office who is probably around 50ish and has some arthritis in her hands. She was the one making the decision. The results were as follows:

Slim with a bit of a bulge at the bottom were perfect.
Streamline was too slippery as it was straight with a gentle taper. It was a stabilized curly maple with no CA finish which made it more slippery.
Zen, Perfect Fit, and Euro were all too top heavy or just too heavy in general.
Longwood and Atlas did not like at all.

I really tried to push the streamline and wish I had taken one with a CA finish as I like that pen much better than the slim but I couldn't talk them into it. One thing I did find out is that this lady preferred lightweight as to size even with arthritis. Everything I have read and witnessed before is that people with arthritis like the larger pens because they are easier to hold. She also liked the bulge on at the bottom of the slimline that I had with me. I don't like bulges but this was one my son turned. I also found out that he still wants the sierra and EB's for his male clients which is a good thing because I didn't want to go with all slims.

I have an order for 5 slims with bulges. :( Oh well. What the customer wants the customer gets.

Ed I completely agree with the 9000 parker refills as that is what he has been getting but they were only interested in the weight and feel of the pen as that was more important.

Anybody know where to get a good cross refill??

PenMan1

Top Bottom