Pen vice suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kevrob

i have a PSI vice, which is clamped to my drill press. Overall, I find it to work fairly well. It does not always drill in the center because my drill table moves left and right when I raise and lower it and at other times when I set the drill into the blank while drilling...it will slightly shift to the left or right. It drives me crazy, but for the most part i am able to drill a straight hole. So, I guess my first question is does anyone have any tricks to help improve my drilling?

My second question is that I have thought about getting on the list for a Paul H. Vice, but from the pictures, I can't tell what makes it different than the PSI vice other than design. Can anyone that has it offer any insight into why it works so well?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

You answered your own question "Design" and built like a tank. He designed it to always hold it centered and repeatable. I've had mine for over 3 years and drilled 1000's of blanks and never missed the center yet.....

PenMan1

I've used a Huffman vice and have been on the waiting list for about nine months. I hope my new vice is born soon as it is the best vice I have ever used and will have dozens of other uses in my shop.

I know of no ther vice that will provide the accuracy of the Huffman.

sdemars

Can anyone that has it offer any insight into why it works so well?
The fact that it was designed by a professional machinist that has access to real equipment. . . . . or maybe that he is also a pen turner and knows what a pen turner needs in a vise.

I have a WILTON self-centering vise ($377.00) , it doesn't perform as well as Paul's vise does for drilling pen blanks.

I have a PHD now and another one on order . . .

Steve

freznel

I built a pen blank jig for drilling the center holes out of 3/4" ply and a toggle clamp. I let it float free on my drill press and I just mark the center of the blank by going from opposite corner to opposite corner. Where the lines cross is the centroid on the part. Line the point on the drill up and drill. Total cost equals maybe $10. I hit the center all the way through almost every time depending on my feed rate and RPM. I don't think you really need a fancy vice for everything.

Drilling in a Vise

Hello

I always use a vise for drilling blanks and mostly get very good results, but when I first started I used to have problems.

I cut and machine all my blanks now so they are perfectly square so when they go in the vice you will get perfect results.

When I first started I used to buy blanks and these are often not perfectly square or straight and will lead to dissapointing results. So have a good look at your stock before blaming the vice/drill press etc.

I hope this helps.

Sean

Pete275

I'm fairly new here can someone direct to a link where I can get on the waiting list for one of the Paul H vises?

Last edited:

sdemars

This should help . . .

i have a PSI vice, which is clamped to my drill press. Overall, I find it to work fairly well. It does not always drill in the center because my drill table moves left and right when I raise and lower it and at other times when I set the drill into the blank while drilling...it will slightly shift to the left or right. It drives me crazy, but for the most part i am able to drill a straight hole. So, I guess my first question is does anyone have any tricks to help improve my drilling?

My second question is that I have thought about getting on the list for a Paul H. Vice, but from the pictures, I can't tell what makes it different than the PSI vice other than design. Can anyone that has it offer any insight into why it works so well?

"Paul in OKC"

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63781

After posting your request in the thread listed I would also go to his profile & send an e-mail requesting to be added to the PHD Vise list . . .

He tends to turn them out in small batches . . . you may have to wait for a while, but it is worth it. They are first class looking and very well made . . . The thread I posted shows a picture of one of the vises as his avatar. . .

Steve

Last edited:

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Everyone seems to have answered your second question pretty well and forgot the first question so here are some tips.
For the table moving on you, put the bit you are going to use in the drill, raise the table to the proper height extend the drill till the bit is in the vise and close the vise on the bit. You can now tighten the table and the bit will be centered in the vise.
For the drift when you start, there is a special bit called a 'center drill' you can use for starting holes that will not drift. Start you hole with that and then switch to your regular bit.

DurocShark

I switched to drilling on the lathe and never been happier...

Cheaper and more accurate than a new vise.

Especially if you already have a scroll chuck or collet chuck system. All you need to add is a $6 drill chuck. Collet chuck is more accurate (I hear...) but the scroll chuck works great.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
table play

Dale I like your suggestion about the drill bit into the vise etc. I think that will solve my problem as I usually T-square the bit to the table before I drill, then when I move my table up to finish the blank I get a little movement. I think this will solve the problem. Thanks. Frank

randyrls

Kev; The Drill Press table needs to be addressed first. You need to be able to lock the table so it doesn't move during drilling. Chuck a piece of drill rod in the DP and center the vise under it by tightening the vise on the rod. Now fasten the vise to the table.

Paul's vise is excellent, but probably will not fix the problem you are having.

Top Bottom