Pen users vs pen makers....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

Just curious, how many of you make pens but for the most part remain a product of the ink-less digital age and how many actually USE pens (yours or others), not just to jot the occasional note but in art or calligraphy or to pull out your stationary once a week and write everyone you know elegant hand written letters or whatever?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I use pens all the time. I write postcards, letters, and other types of correspondence. I like how pens feel on good paper, how the ink flows and the art of using the written language to communicate with others.
I also use a computer for it's amazing capabilities and access to the rest of the world, like IAP.

kludge77

I use a pen every day to jot notes or scribbles in my memo pad.

I have three pens that I use all the time. None of them are ones I've made. I prefer a heavy metal pens I've acquired from tech manufactures over the years. Cisco, Lucent and the like.

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
I work in IT... I carry a laptop with me pretty all day, and my iphone constantly... But I still use a pen constantly. Normally its either one of mine or one from a PITH.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
User

Both my wife and I use pens constantly...neither of us uses our computer for "honey do" lists. I can do quick a/s/m/d arithmetic quicker on paper than I can enter it on a calculator or computer and I jot tons of things down when I am working on the computer. I use pens I've made, usually the mistakes. I carry a Sierra or a really nice comfort when I leave the house

Just curious, how many of you make pens but for the most part remain a product of the ink-less digital age and how many actually USE pens (yours or others), not just to jot the occasional note but in art or calligraphy or to pull out your stationary once a week and write everyone you know elegant hand written letters or whatever?

That ain't me... on my very best day I have a lousy hand... I don't do a lot of writing by hand, because I type faster than I can write and you can actually read what I type. :biggrin:

jskeen

I use pens constantly, mostly for notes to self while working, or whatever. Writing things down on sticky notes is a survival trait for those of us with adult ADD. That being said, I am the only person that could ever use them, as my handwriting is almost completely Illegible, as George (robusticon) DownUnda can verify.

I do ocassionally take the time to write out a letter longhand, and then fold it and seal with wax and ribbon. It looks nice until it's opened.

Padre

Seems to me, lately, that when I needed a pen I couldn't find one. :biggrin:

MatthewZS

It occurs to me I should answer my own question.

I drew and did calligraphy years ago and slowly life distracted me. I've been making a move back into that and it's part of the reason I decided to do pen turning. I figure why not have a really nice pen that inspires me.

When I just scibble down something quick my handwriting is horrid, but when I take my time... well, I surprise myself sometimes, and thats where the calligraphy comes in. In the past I've done birthday and other occasion cards, written froo froo letters to friends, etc...... lately I'm just brushing off the dust.

Working in computers for the last 10 years I'd forgotten on a number of levels how nice it was to have something that's NOT part of disposable america and to have something with which communicating isn't JUST an exercise of your technical skills.

areaman

I work as a dispatcher and use a computer everyday, but also use a pen constantly.
we have lots of pens available, but I like using my own.

kludge77

Working in computers for the last 10 years I'd forgotten on a number of levels how nice it was to have something that's NOT part of disposable america and to have something with which communicating isn't JUST an exercise of your technical skills.

That's cool. I recall how fun it was to get a letter from a friend in the post pre-email days. It felt nice. That's not a bad idea...

How much do stamps cost these days??

ldb2000

I use several different pens in my daily scribbles including the PITH pens I've gotten over the years but my favorite , the love of my life when it comes to pens is my Parker Falcon FP . It is one of the coolest looking and smoothest writing pens I have ever used .
It's funny , when I write with a ballpoint you can barely read my handwriting but when I take out my Falcon my handwriting becomes readable . I actually enjoy writing again .

AKPenTurner

I use pens a lot. Typically, I use whatever pen is closest to me for whatever I need it for. The pen that I made that I use is the first pen I ever made, which was a walnut slimline. That was 2 years ago, it's still holding out. Most every other pen I use has at least a broken clip if nothing worse. :biggrin:

MatthewZS

.....but my favorite , the love of my life when it comes to pens is my Parker Falcon FP . It is one of the coolest looking and smoothest writing pens I have ever used .

That makes me think of another question on in the same line. How many people collect Pens other than what your turn?

snyiper

I only collect pith or trade pens and I use a pen everyday. I usually use one of my slimlines but always have my first failed attempt at dying wood in my pocket.

ldb2000

I have a collection of Parkers dating from a 30's Vacumatic to a modern Vector Flighter but my pride and joys are my Falcons , the sweetest writing pens I have ever used , and yes as a Parker collector I have several 51's and have made several hooded nib FP's for my collection . The nice thing about the Parkers is that they write well but are not that expensive to collect especially if you buy on ebay and refurbish them yourself , you can learn allot about FP's doing that .

lazyguy

I journal but not as often as I should and use Sterling Silver Navigator fountian that is my daily pen. Got it loaded with Noodlers BP so I feel comfortable with few checks I write.

penfancy

A true gentleman should carry these things at all times... 1. hankerchief 2. pocket knife 3. pen. That's what I learned when I was young, and I still do it to this day.

Pens By Scott

I still use a pen, pretty much every day at work... and yes, I do use a computer too, but much easier to sketch, design, rework, scratch out... write on top of... with a pen or pencil.
Also, years ago, I had a school teacher that told me to practice my hand writing every day and I would get better... yeah right, hasn't helped on little bit...

DurocShark

I have a FP at my desk that is used constantly. I carry some flavor of ballpoint in my pocket (ruined too many pants with caps coming off...)

I've been in IT since the mid 90's. I have a nice MacBook Pro, an iPad, an iPod Touch, and a crappy cell phone. Yet I still write with a pen more often than not.

To me, it's a matter of appropriate technology. A pen and paper are far more appropriate to me for taking notes than a computer. But a pen can't surf the net, remote into a firewall, or check my email.

hilltopper46

Althougj I work on a computer all day long, everyday I use a pen regularly. Usually, I am jotting down a reference number, etc. that I need to transfer between systems. If I try to cut and paste, the clipboard on the PC isn't totally compatible with the web application that I work in, so a scratch pad lays in front of me most of the time.

Top Bottom