Pen with a USB drive

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BlackPearl

My son wanted to see if I could put a USB flash drive in a RB pen for him. I know there are kits for doing it on a key chain but has anyone put one in a pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Woodnwhimsie sells a kit to do that with a ballpoint. It could be adapted to a rollerball, or the same idea could be used to make a custom one.

Fibonacci

I have done the thumb drives that are the same base as those pens several times. The drive section is large enough to fit any drive I have ever seen.

If you wanted to do something custom, I would get one of the microdrives like Kmart has now that are the outer dimensions of a USB port, but twice as long. That would let you put it in a much thinner tube and make it a bit more mangeable.

BlackPearl

I have done the thumb drives that are the same base as those pens several times. The drive section is large enough to fit any drive I have ever seen.

If you wanted to do something custom, I would get one of the microdrives like Kmart has now that are the outer dimensions of a USB port, but twice as long. That would let you put it in a much thinner tube and make it a bit more mangeable.
this is what I was hoping for something a little smaller than a cudgel.

Fibonacci

http://www.amazon.com/v165w-Flash-D...80/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1312057697&sr=8-11

I have used these to make other kinds of small custom drives. They come up to 16gb. I was happy with their performance and the ease of decasing them. Depending on how much custom work you wanted to do, you could probably get a pair of midsized kits and use the cap on one to make a cap and the cap hardware from the other to make a thumb drive that screws/clips onto the other end.

I have a design that I have been fiddling with that is not ready for prime time, but I would discuss it with you. PM if you are interested.

Jgrden

I have made several of these. They are great gifts. If you are interested I can send you pictures and scratch my brain about where I bought them. Oh I know, Penn State Industries. I tried to buy the board from them without the casings and they never answered three requests. Trying to buy the flash drive from China is useless because you need to buy 500. We bought them at Fry's and took the case apart and they fit right in. When I sell them, I personalize them and explain that they will contain allot of data and you want the drive identified. Using it for my pen inventory is ideal for it.

Top Bottom