Pen turning sadness

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
:frown: Was turning my first Jeff Powell blank and "blew out" the bottom half. The guitar inlay is OK. Lost a big chunk of it so I can't even try to save it. Going to try and match something or "compliment" with the lower half. :frown:

Attachments

• DSC_0118.jpg
    DSC_0118.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Definitely a bummer of catch with the tool. It could be salvageable with some coloring of epoxy if you have the patience. Looks like an opportunity for learning if you are up for it.

76winger

Sorry to hear that, I've had a couple acrylics blow out on me as well.

You might try gathering up a bunch of the smaller pieces you cut off and CA-glue them back into the hole and packing them in as much as possibl Then try to finish the turning. It wont be perfect, but you can still get a good user pen out it if all goes well.

LeeR

I blew out a spalted pecan blank, so I used one black acrylic in its place. Like it so much I've done another wood/acrylic pairing.

Maybe you could replace the blown-out blank with a solid color, either light or dark, to complement the other's colors.

sbwertz

I like to turn comfort/soft grip pens without the grip because I like the larger diameter. As a result, I have a number of the grips that I can use in a situation like this, converting the pen to a soft grip.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
That looks to me like it is salvageable. You still have a way to turn to get to the bushings. I'd CA and clamp the crack to close it then use some shavings and ca to fill the gap.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Been there, done that. Just yesterday in fact with a cross cut stabilized maple.... :mad: It is a real bummer when it costs you like that!

dankc908

I like to turn comfort/soft grip pens without the grip because I like the larger diameter. As a result, I have a number of the grips that I can use in a situation like this, converting the pen to a soft grip.

I, too, have done this and saved some neat blanks!

workinforwood

Ah...see I got the PM, but now I see the thread and a photo! I can't guarantee a complete color match, but I poured a couple new ones that should at least be really close to that, the sand and bronze is what you have there. I just need your address to send you those. I wouldn't not bother trying to repair it in any way, just replace the lower barrel with one the ones I poured for you.

Now those pics are really great to see as well. It should be obvious to many that your chisel is not sharp and/or possibly not angled well. The shavings that I see around the blank are not good and I can see gouge marks on the blank in many places. These blanks are surely the most forgivable acrylics you can ever turn. Even still..you can't get to aggressive with your tools. Turn the lathe up fast as she'll go. Sharpen your chisel..a gouge is fine, otherwise I recommend a rotondo tool, I never recommend a skew unless you have lots of practice with one. If using a gouge..a good tool in my opinion, the angle the handle down steep, like 45 or more degrees so you are just contacting in the center and the edge will be cutting into the blank like a potato peeler, make light contact and only go from left to right, with your thumb riding the tool rest at all times..your thumb is your guide and pivot point..the thumb is the most important part..just like carving wood. You should have shavings coming off that blank a mile long..to the point where they spit out a couple feet of the lathe and then get caught and lash back spinning themselves back over the top of the blank..a real nuisance and you have to keep stopping the lathe and removing all the wrapped shavings..but when that's happening, it means you are doing it right.

Top Bottom