Pen turning instructors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

I am a pen turning instructor at Lee Valley here in Canada. In my classes I have had students complete the slimline, sierra, cigar, American Classic, and Baron. While I will continue with the basic kits for introductory turners I am looking to find something more for the advanced turner. I would be interested in what other instructors are doing in their classes. Thanks Darrell Eisner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Expand your MATERIALS. Once you have the concept of turning between bushings you can turn any kit.

However, being able to turn wood does NOT make you able to turn PR, celluloids, inlace, etc. Each of these requires much finer tool control than a simple wood pen, even if it is a burl.

Then you could embark on making laminations with metals and turning them.. Again, a different skill set and the importance of CA impregnation throughout the turning process.

When you finish all that, perhaps your students could make ORIGINAL designs or incorporate ORIGINAL materials (if they have not SEEN IAP, pinecones in resin would be NEW to them, and a thrill to turn)

Bellsy

Darrell.......Kits are kits (basically speaking), but I think the level of difficulty could be more aimed towards some segmented work. Lots of thinking and planning are required long before you start drilling and gluing the tubes into the blanks in my opinion.

Dave

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Take a look at the pen articles on my website and others. Mine is listed below. There are a lot of things they can do with a simple Slim-Line kit to make a bigger pen, a long pen, their own center bands, an enclosed pen, and others without spending a lot of money on a more expensive kit and tools.

Last edited:
Top Bottom