Pen Turning BugBear - The "Spinning Clip" - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 76

Default Pen Turning BugBear - The "Spinning Clip"

I just looked up the word "bugbear" and it seems to mean an "irritation" so that's an appropriate description of this subject.

I hate it when I make a pen and the clip does not stay in the position I want, but instead, rotates or "spins", even if it takes a little effort to move it. . I want it to be firmly in place and not move at all.

Some kit designs have the clip sort of integrated with the top end and the clip cannot move in these cases. . But there are many attractive kit designs in which the clip has to be installed as a separate piece when you put everything together. . In some cases, you have quite a tight friction fit between the clip's ring and the top finial "post" that goes through the clip ring. . But in other cases this is a loose fit, and it is primarily those kit/clip designs that result in the problem of the "spinning clip".

So, I am wondering what methods people use to keep clips from moving after the pen has been pressed together.

Of course, I have tried glue ... both epoxy and CA. . With CA you have to be extremely careful how you apply it to avoid getting CA on your components and your nicely finished pen barrels. . With epoxy I usually do get a little onto the pen parts and barrel but it is not hard to remove if you act quickly. . The problem is that epoxy is not always a long term solution and eventually the clip can move in spite of having been glued.

I have not tried Loctite, mainly because it is colored and that puts me off from using it because, in most situations, the color is inappropriate.

Just wondering how others cope with the annoyance of the "spinning clip". . I would appreciate hearing, please.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Add some blue or red loctite before assembly. Problem goes away. Color is not a problem. You wipe it off when assembled and you only use sparingly.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I use about 3 specks of epoxy applied with a toothpick as the pen is being assembled.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Red Loctite on all pens with a clip . Trial assembly first to make sure everything is okay . Wipe out excess inside of tube as well as outside .
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-03-2019, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Blue locktite on all press fit joints, except slim transmissions, cigar centerbands and Jr. centerbands.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 222

Silicon adhesive?
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I put a slight bend in the ring of the clip. When it's pressed together, it acts like a spring washer.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I started using red Loctite on all clips: inside of upper barrel and between top of the clip and the bottom of the finial. In, fact I need to do that to my own personal carry pen (executive). BTW, I have been able to dissemble even after using Red LT (maybe it is not going to prevent the spinning clip then). I will see. All sold pens, get the red LT. None of come back...maybe my customers just didn't tell me.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Red Loctite has the strongest hold and usually takes heat to break it free. Blue Loctite doesn't hold quite as well and is meant to come apart with force applied to the bolt for repairs. There is a purple that is meant for small screws that can be removed by force that is the weakest of the three. Another brand, at least here in Canada called Permatex uses the same colours for the same applications. If you go to the Loctite site it has details of what all the different products are for and how to use them. I seem to recall they have a version you can apply to assembled parts and it will wick in and lock. I don't know if it has a colour or how hard it is to clean up or disassemble.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads