Pen Turning Books

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomG

Hello all! I am new to this group and turning. I began building furniture about a year ago with no interest in turning. My wife bought me a pen for X-mas and the choice was very difficult but I ended up with a Porsche design. While in the pen shop I noticed a lot of the pens were made from wood and that caught my eye. So here I am asking for what would be a good beginner’s book(s)? I would like to know about lathes, tools, blanks, kits, etc.

I can pick between a mini lathes but want to learn about spindles, variable speeds, chucks, etc.

I did a search here but came up with nothing on books. I found this book on Amazon. "The Pen Turner's Workbook: Making Pens from Simple to Stunning" by Barry Gross. Looked good?

Thanks

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Tom,

WELCOME! Not to knock any book but I had one and never used it. I did gave it away and only hope it was put to good use. Read online and here and you will get eveything you need...better and faster [;)]

Read here a abit http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html

If you need anything...people here will get you the answer fast. Only probblem is you might get 100 different answers, sorting it out might take some time [:D]

steve542

I think there are plenty of good books on lathes and on penturning. As for pens my favorites are the new 2nd edition of Ken Gross's Book and also the Making Pens Book by Kip Christenson and Rex Burningham ( I am at my office and will check on exact title and authors names tonight). As for books on lathes I found that the Lathe Book by Ernie Conover and the Popular Mechanics book, Lathe Fundamentals were each very good and up to date. I'll post any corrections later today. The Arizona Silouette video tape on Pen Making is terrific also.

Steve in Atlanta[^][8)]

Scott

Hi Tom!

Welcome! There just aren't a lot of penturning books available at this time. I have most of them, and the ones I don't have, I have seen. I can honestly say that any of the books on penturning would be of value to you at this time. The best of them, in my opinion, is Turning Pens And Pencils, by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham.

I can also honestly tell you that almost any of the penturning videos available would do you more good than almost any of the books available! I particularly like the video by Kip and Rex (see above) and those by Russ Fairfiled (see his link in one of the earlier posts above).

But as someone else has already said, all this and more is available here at IAP! We have an extensive collection of articles written by our members, and just by reading the posts in various sections of the forums you can gain much valuable knowledge in a short time!

As for lathes and such, I recommend a variable speed Jet Mini with a bed extension. This will give you a lot of capability for a reasonable price. Chucks are personal preferance, but you won't go wrong sticking with a known brand (Oneway, Nova, Axminster, etc).

You will have lots of other questions, please feel free to ask them here! We have lots of helpful people who would be happy to lead you astray! [8D]

Remember, have fun!

Scott.

GBusardo

Hi Tom, Welcome aboard!
Check out the PSI web site, http://www.pennstateind.com/

They have a free pen making video that will get you started. After you decide you can't do with out this addiction, check out the links on our home page here for supplies. Then use the search feature on the home page to get info on ANY pen turning subject.
Good luck, try to be safe and have fun

beathard

I liked the Barry Gross book. I bought it, read it, and gave it to a Boy Scout in our troop that wanted to learn. I believe that books are good for getting ideas. This site is better. Having an experienced turner look over your shoulder is even better...

JimGo

I'll add a plug for Bill Baumbeck's video (http://www.arizonasilhouette.com); there's a LOT of good info in there, and it's more entertaining than most books. From what I've seen of Ed Davidon's videos (his username is YoYoSpin on here, and his videos are in the IAP library), they would also be a worthwhile purchase, especially after you have a few pens under your belt. Once I get some more shop time, I plan on buying Ed's video.

aksarben

I read thru some of those books before I started, but what really helped the most was the Rex and Kip DVD's. That really pulled it all together for me.

I would recommend the DVD's if you have never turned a pen before. It shows you all the tools you need and how to use them. It explains all the things pen specific things like bushings to manderals.

Scott

TomG

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the 2 free DVD's from Penn State. Let me add that I have been viweing the pens on this site and WOW!!! You all create some beautiful pens.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom