Pen tubes sticking to pilot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
For the first time ever after hundred of pens, I suddenly had a string of pen tubes effectively welding themselves to the pilot shaft when I was milling the ends this morning.

I've never had this happen before this morning, I had to take the pilot shaft to the metal lathe to turn off the tube in 4 out of 9 Sierras.

I'm not sure what went wrong.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Glue

For the first time ever after hundred of pens, I suddenly had a string of pen tubes effectively welding themselves to the pilot shaft when I was milling the ends this morning.

I've never had this happen before this morning, I had to take the pilot shaft to the metal lathe to turn off the tube in 4 out of 9 Sierras.

I'm not sure what went wrong.

That has happened to me a couple to times and it was always associated with epoxy glue buildup on the shaft....coming from not cleaning out the ends of the tubes well enough before I did the operation. I fixed it be cleaning the shaft really well. It seems to react to heat build up too.

KenV

Sounds like heat - and perhaps dull cutters on the pen mill -- Getting just a few more before replacement/regrinding???

JerrySambrook

sounds like a glue buildup,
clean the guide shaft

then slowly run the shaft into the tubes while it is turning to try and clean off any excess glue inside the tubes

One other thing that I've had problems with... sometimes if you don't watch closely enough, you can run the cutters into the brass tube and sorta flatten the ends of the bras to the point that it will grip the pilot... I've had that happen on the 10 mm pens pretty regularly... then discovered the set screws had loosened slightly and allowed the cutter head to slip up the shaft... there's a lip from the 10mm pilot to the shaft of the cutter... the brass will fold over that lip and it's fun getting it off.

Top Bottom