Pen Tubes in Bulk -- Where to Buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JWS Penworks

Hi,

I want to try some kitless pens this year and I am looking at getting some 7mm pen tubes in bulk. I'll also need some transmissions, nibs, etc... Where is the best place to buy them? Where can I get the larger center rings for the 7mm tubes? (I know I can turn my own, and I will, but I would also like to have an array of different rings on hand.) Also, I would like to buy some Cigar Pen Kit Tubes. (I wasted a few experimenting with some different techniques and sharpening grinds) What's a good resource for items like this

Thanks!
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John,

Careful. Not all tubes are created equal. I buy 7mm tubes from WoodNWhimsies. I also buy some from Penn State (10") These are not identical. WnW is a little larger in diameter (components from other suppliers may slide in too easily). This can be fixed with CA, but tubes are cheap. Might be best to test with the components you will be using BEFORE you buy a hundred or so (I wish I had).

Similarly, I have had cigar tubes that were not a real tight fit (here I don't know what suppliers they were - I order a hundred tubes pretty regularly from different suppliers). But, then I also buy kits from many different suppliers - so I could be asking for trouble.

FWIW

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As I have thought about this post, I think I should add: MANY times I buy tubes that don't seem to fit right. But then, I also encounter this problem with the Jr. Gent sometimes and they all HAVE to come from CSUSA. So, I think the problem is with the manufacturers. We all "know" there are only a couple manufacturers worldwide. But, are their tubes consistent from one batch to the next? I THINK not!!

So, are you assured of good results by using the tubes that came with your components?? I dunno! Recently I have added glue to a NUMBER of clip finials for the Jr. Gent. MANY of my clips were "spinning".

I just want to be sure I am not implying that WoodNWhimsies is unique. I think ALL the suppliers' products vary from shipment to shipment. So, test before you make a "run" and find out they don't fit quite right.

yes, this is a DAMHIKT!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ah.. good to know.. I put together a pen last night and the nib was loose.

So if I have a supply of PSI guts, I should use PSI tubes and when I order from WnW, I should get some of their tubes as well..

Thanks for the info.

That was EXACTLY what I thought people would read into my first post.

Now read the one I posted, WHILE you were posting this!!!

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Top Bottom