pen tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

denny

On painting there tubes i have a question?
i read this somewhere a while ago and can't find it.

But when using a lets say red blank, what color besides the same color could be used to enhance the blank. knowing the the same blank with different colors look different. For example Hope this makes sense, having a problem trying to describe what I'm trying to say.
Thx in advance to any responses…

Denny D.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StuartCovey

I think your asking what colors to use?

I typically use the same main color of the blank. You can use other colors and it will make the acrylic a different shade/color. If its a red blank I typically use a red paint. Or a gold blank with black swirls maybe black or brown/gold paint, depending on which color I want to enhance on. Whatever color paint you use the blank will be enhanced in that color. For example: if you use a black paint it is going to make the red acrylic a darker and more blackish red. Or maybe white and your going to have a whitish/pinkish color.

Play around and see what you like. If you do it enough you will sort of know ahead of time what the final result will look like.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Denny - good Q. Basically, the easy answer is "white". And, IMHO, in the right situation, it can work even better than painting the same color as the blank. If, for example, you want to enhance, or brighten the blank (say the blank is hot pink and you want it to "pop") painting the tube white can do just that.

On the other hand, if you have a dark blank and you want it to stay that way, black or even a dark grey primer can do the job.

A lot of it is experience and vision to be able to imagine what the final outcome will be. Variables like the blank material or the thickness of the final wall will impact the effect.

Ed McDonnell

It really depends on the blank and what look you are going for. Here's something you can try. Cut up some dowel rod that will loosely fit in the drilled blank (or turn some if you don't have dowels handy). Paint the ends different colors. Everytime you want to decide on a tube color, use your set of different color dowel rods to see what you like best with the blank you are currently working with.

I sometimes find that different sections of the same pen blank will look better with different colors.

Ed

Woodkiller

Buy 10 extra tubes for each kit. Paint each one a different color and take the cutoff and turn it down fairly thin. Slide each different tube in and find the look you like. Or you can use a dowel of an appropriate size with different color bands on it.

BSea

I kind of use a base color that a car painter uses. I read somewhere that many car painters try to tint their primers so the shade matches the shade of the color they are painting. The reason is that if the paint gets scratched, it won't be as noticeable. Now I know with pens we don't have that problem. But the reasoning makes sense (at least to me). Now I don't worry if I have an exact shade match. But medium silver or gray is what I use when in doubt. But normally, I do what many others say, and use a paint close to the most dominant color in the blank. I've found in many cases white will soften the colors to a more pastel look.

Top Bottom