Pen Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

I have bought a few white coloured pen tubes,should I ruff them up like other tubes?The problem I have is that I tried to ruff one up and I see that the white paint starts to come off,not much good if using a white/blue line blank.Do I need to ruff the tube?.What should I do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

If you try to rough up the painted tubes you generally ruin them. I use Epoxy with the color tubes without roughing them and that works for me. However, the best bet is to use brass tubes, rough them up and paint them with Testers acrylic paints. The colored tubes seem to come is a very limited number of sizes so I generally end up painting my own tubes or inside the blanks themselves.

jttheclockman

I think the most important thing is to reverse paint the blank. The tube is secondary. A good paint job on the blank and no need to paint the tube. You do need to rough the tube for best adhesion. Tint your epoxy whatever color you choose.

BSea

I agree with John T. reverse painting the blank is much more important than the tube. Lately I've been using a brass darkener on my tubes. It turns them almost black. And I rarely use white for reverse painting anyway because white tends to wash out the colors. So white tubes are almost useless. Silver tubes area much better choice IMHO because they reflect the original colors of the blank.

Dale Allen

I think reverse painting the blank is the best way to go.
I've done all the variations and unless you paint the inside of the blank there is still a chance that you will see small glue air bubbles. That's also happened on the ones where I tinted the epoxy.

Irish Pat

I first ruffed up a brass tube,then I painted it with acrylic paint.I then painted the inside of the blank.Everything was fine until I went to polish the blank after turning it.I notice that I began to have raised spots,I don't know where I went wrong.Also can you explain what is
reverse painting?

dtswebb

Pat,

Reverse painting is simply painting the hole that was drilled in the blanks. There seems to be about as many ways of reverse painting as there are folks that do it.

Myself, I use model enamels and long stemmed q-tips and usually a coat or two inside the tube will do the trick.

You need to allow the coats to dry thoroughly and be sure to test fit the tube before applying glue. Usually if the tube fits easily after drilling there won't be an issue, but every once in a while I seem to got too much paint in the blank and the tube won't go in easy.

I have not as yet added a small drop of paint to the epoxy (I use a two part epoxy to glue in the tubes) but will the next time I'm turning plastic blanks. I've had one or two where the brass tube scrapes off some of the paint and you wind up seeing the tube.

As to the raised spots, I cannot comment.

Matthew

Top Bottom