pen tube wrapped

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wfsteadman

So I have seen folks talking about wrapping items to the pen tubes and then casting them in acrylic, my question is along those lines but it deals more with raising the wraps so they are closer to the pens true dimensions. So lets say I have a label/image that I want to wrap around the pen tube but I don't want it directly on the tube because then it will give the appearance that it is deeper in the pen. If I wanted to raise it so that it was nearer to the dimensions of the pen, what would be the best method. I am not sure my question is very clear so let me know if it is unclear.

So for example sake lets say the bushing width of the pen is 12 mm (just a random number) and I am using a 7mm tube and I want to wrap the tube but I want the image to be nearer the 12 mm so that when looking at the pen you are not looking into 4 mm of acrylic to see the image.

Would then cast in acrylic for turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very simple wrap the decal on a finished blank and then top coat with CA and skip the casting. Or and I have done this before over turn a blank and leave just enough room to wrap the item and also cast. Silmar41 will stick to acrylic. Or at least it has for me. Your milage may vary.

I agree with Danny. When unturned, the appearance can be scary. But when turned and polished the blanks optics change and it doesn't look "fake". I've noticed this with carbon fiber, glass fiber and denim-wrapped (yes, denim - it's cool) tubes of various diameters. Never an optical issue.

bmachin

Realistically , the thickness of the acrylic is minimal in terms of perceived depth. A quick look at some random kits in the Berea Bushing chart in the library shows a maximum difference between tube diameter and bushing diameter of about .08" giving a maximum material thickness of about 1mm. Some kits such as the sierra have a thickness of just over 1/32"

No disagreement with prior posts intended, just thought the numbers were interesting.

Bill

Last edited:
Top Bottom