Pen Supplies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnny1211

I'm not new to turning, but am new to pen making. I want to get into selling some pens. Where do you suggest buying your pen supplies from? I definitely want quality parts. I did a search and quite a few companies came up. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

I have used most all of them at one point or another, but the best company to stand behind thier stuff is CSUSA. I would then say Bear Tooth Woods, although AZ has nice sales weekly. For PSI stuff, Woods & Whimsies.

Although this is my opinion, all I can say is I have never been "mis-treated" ever by CSUSA.

Nolan

are you speaking of the pen kits or material to make them out of (wood, acyrlic, corian, ect)?
I think as far as kits go your best ones quality wise are from these folks. I personally think Craft Supply is the best quality pen kits but there are other pen styles that I get from the other folks.
Craft Supply http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/
Bear Tooth Woods http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/
Arizona Silhouette http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/

Then as far as other materials I feel the best quality and value can be found right here at IAP in the clasifieds. Just my 2 cents

bitshird

For inexpensive kits to start out with, I have to recommend http://www.woodnwhimsies.com, I've had excellent service and response from them, they have pretty decent kits, mostly the same stuff as PSI but at a better price! I've never had any complaints about their Mdse. other than a refill going dry way faster than it should have, the kits have been functional, and the plating so far have been good. Plus their delivery time whether from an internet order or phone is very quickly delivered and their web site is always pretty up to date, so you know what they actually have in stock or real close too it.
I've only bought about a hundred kits so far from them. how ever in the scheme of things that's not allot.
No connection just a very satisfied customer,

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by johnny1211

Where do you suggest buying your pen supplies from? I definitely want quality parts. I did a search and quite a few companies came up. Thanks.

Nolan is pretty much right on. High end and quality can sometimes be confussed. CSUSA has both, but you don't always have to have high end to have quality. AS to me has better cigars as they have a Ti where CSUSA only has 10k. Big difference when it comes to the wear of the platting. Pen supplies also includes blanks as Nolan mentioned. Good quality blanks are a plus no matter what kit you put it on. What good is a Jr Statesman with desert ironwood burl if the blank is cracked and has inclussions? Would a customer pay a high price for a resin pen if it was full of air bubbles?

Whether it is kits or blanks you want someone who stands behind their product. Those are people that will go the extra mile to make things right. For kits all those mentioned from the high end to the inexpensive do a wonderful job. For blanks, those that step up to the plate are folks like Nolan and Ed. There are others, but these two I would trust without a question when it comes to getting that right blank for a special client.

Mike

Daniel

Basically there are three suppliers of pen kits. Penn state industries (P.S.I.), Craft supplies USA (CSUSA) and Berea.
they each offer there own styles, and they also all offer many styles that seem the same. quality, and platings will vary even on those kits that seem the same.
All other suppliers sell the same kits as the main three but at lower prices. exception CSUSA does not have a retailers program any more. you have to go directly to them for there kits. some of the other suppliers have been listed in threads above. woodenwhimsies, woodturningz, pens of color, and Arizona Shillouette (AZ), come to mind with out having to think to much. links to them can be found in the links area under suppliers. as for blanks, AZ tops my list there. but you can get them from any of those suppliers or right here in the classifieds.

Rudy Vey

The three main suppliers (in alphabetical order) are:
Berea
CSUSA
PSI
The two first ones are the ones I use for many years, they both supply equally good quality pen kits. There are some re-sellers that sell Berea kits: Arizona Silhouette, Beartooth Woods, Rockler, Woodcraft. CSUSA has no re-sellers.
Don't get any Upgrade, 10K or other gold kits - use what is called Titanium Gold - it will outlast any gold plating many, many times.

Top Bottom