Pen Style recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

I am wanting to make a pen for a gentleman that I met last Sunday, and I am looking for some help in finding a Kit style & blank that will fit what he has accomplished in his life.

He is 95 years old and is a WW II veteran he completed 31 mission's piloting a B-24J over France & Germany 2 of which were on 6 June 1944 'D-Day'. What is miraculous while a lot of aircraft were shot down on those missions, not a single member of his crew was lost or injured completing the missions.

I have been looking and just can't seem to find the right one. I would like to make him a roller ball with a screw on cap but something not to flashy. And find a clip that will reflect his service.

ANY IDEAS appreciated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Not sure what your budget is, but whatever kit you use, I would have Mike Redburn (mredburn) cast a plane propeller clip from jewelers brass to replace the kit clip. Jr. Gent II would be my go to pen. A piece of wood from France and a Schmidt refill would tie everything together - flying, France and Germany at peace and allies through the pilot's service in ending the war. All that is much easier to recommend than it is to afford.:redface:

I'd kick in $5 towards something special, if it would help...:)

BJohn

Chris I kind of like the idea of the Boiler Plate Blanks, and the 31 hash marks.

Was thinking of printing out a label with the nose artwork. But they only flew two missions in that plane. What is a misconception is that they always did not fly the same plane. The air crews rotated and if your turn was up and your plane was not air worthy you would fly someones that was. His original B-24 was used by another crew after their second mission and while that crew survived to get bat to England the plane itself had it's number three engine blown apart from anti aircraft flak, and the propeller went about through the fuselage just missing the pilot rendering the aircraft back to scrap pile upon barely making it back.

Well that was a long story but he only flew that plane through training the flights over and on 1 or 2 missions.

But the he has a list of medal as long as your arm, so I am thinking of looking for a laser inlay blank of the Distinguished Flying Medal but have not found one yet.

I will check on the Prop clip for sure.

Not to worried about the budget. I can spend a couple $$$ considering what he did for me - us.

kovalcik

My dad was a ball turret gunner in a B-24 during the war. From talking to him, if you can find out what the tail insignia was, that would be a nice addition to recreate for the pen, maybe as a decal. The tail insignia is associated with the bomb group (I think that is the term) so would have been the same for all the planes he flew in .

BJohn

I do know the Bomb Group the 489th, they flew out of Halesworth Airfield, England. I have the nose art from the plane so right now I am thinking of using a metal foil blanks (painted the Olive D rap like the planes were with a label of the nose art. And maybe 31 hash marks if there is room and it doesn't look to crowded.

Did your dad fly in Europe or the Pacific?

OldGrumpy

How about PSI's New Patriot Rollerball. I have sold several of the Patriot ballpoints that customers wanted for vets

Last edited:
Top Bottom