Pen for Stroke victim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkoehler

I have a customer that has had a stroke.
she has asked for a pen that is a larger than normal as it will be easier to hold and handle.
has anyone had this request before?
what kit was used? would click pen or twist be better?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

I have had several requests of this type. I suggested the Havana for those who like a heavy pen and the El Grande for those who like a large size without much heft.

Spike

I would say a click pen would be best since most stroke victims lose operation in one arm. A one handed operation click pen would work. Twist pens are to diffuclt to open with one hand.

TheHeretic

I have done a couple of large pens for those who have trouble writing and yet there job has them doing a lot of it. I used a cigar blank. and they turned out very nice. I used 1" blanks instead of 3/4" blanks and the pens were great.

Dean
Columbus OH

swm6500

I made one from a slimline kit, probably about an inch in the finished diameter. From what I have been told the lady's father loves the pen because he can hold it and write again.

jssmith3

Being a nurse I might suggest a slim-line made real fat. Sometimes the weight can cause them problems if its a big and heavy pen. This is an example of one I did for one of my patients that has worked well for her. Hope this helps. P.S. I am definitely not a photographer :)

2005122921942_big%20stuff.jpg

Randy_

Depending upon how much function has been lost, a Havana or El Grande might be a problem as user would have to deal with two pen pieces. A one piece pen might be a better alternative unless you know that a 2 piece pen would be acceptable.

Scott

A while back one of our penturners here did some experimentation on a design for a friend who had arthritis. He goes by Texas Bob, and his name is Bob Swartzendruber. The pictures of his pen are in his PMG Gallery at:

http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/swartzenbgal1.htm

This may not be what you are looking for, but it will certainly open up some new possibilities for you! Good Luck!

Scott.

knottyharry

Lots of good suggestions here...
Something bigger than normal, and maybe something at the end so the fingers don't slip off.
I would go for the twist type pen.
Also the drift wood is gorgeous.
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom