Pen Storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

I couldn't find any specific info on how to best store your new pens.I have only been pen turning for a few months and and have either given away or sold all the pens I've made.After having shoulder surgery and finally able to turn again I want to start building up a good inventory of pens for the summer and also for the next holliday season.Most of my pens are wood with 10 coats of BLO/CA,I would like to put them back into the plastic kit envelope with wood info written on,but am afraid long term storage might not be good,a zippered pen folder might not work, so what is the best and safest way to keep and store your finished pens?Thanks pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I don't see why a zippered pen folder would not work. Any pen case would be fine. I wouldn't store them in a plastic bag because then the pens can't breath. Keep them indoors in a stable environment, not too cold, not too hot.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree the zippered cases are nice.

Be aware that there were people complaining about the elastic leaving marks on their pens. I have never had this problem, I suspect it relates to leaving the pens in hot conditions (inside car in summer) and the elastic removing the finish.

Just a FWIW, to save you a few ruined pens.

OKLAHOMAN

Pen storage roll-ups

John don't know if this will help you but this is what I use to store my pens. Keeps them safe, not touching each other and clean. Each one holds 20-24 pens , I store them by series and plating, makes it much easier when I go to display at shows knowing what pen is where, also easy transporting.The first shows the pockets, second the flap covering the pens and third all rolled up and taged.Easy to make and cheap. I have 18 of them and total cost was less than $30 not counting the upkeep on Diane:wink:.Just checked with the boss she said she spent way less than $30 more like $10.00 and has enough material left for abot 10 more

Attachments

• IMG_1677-1.jpg
    IMG_1677-1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1678-1.jpg
    IMG_1678-1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1679-1.jpg
    IMG_1679-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

HSTurning

John don't know if this will help you but this is what I use to store my pens. Keeps them safe, not touching each other and clean. Each one holds 20-24 pens , I store them by series and plating, makes it much easier when I go to display at shows knowing what pen is where, also easy transporting.The first shows the pockets, second the flap covering the pens and third all rolled up and taged.Easy to make and cheap. I have 18 of them and total cost was less than $30 not counting the upkeep on Diane:wink:.

Would you save money on materials buying a couple of the fleece throws when they go on sale for 5 bucks or less?

bitshird

I have several 48 pen zipper cases and 1 24 pen zipper case for my high end pens, and a bunch of the pen rolls, the rolls are great and they are cheap, you might contact Daniel, and see if he has any zipper cases left over, also the leatherette cases from woodnwhimsies are reasonably priced, CSUSA has the pen rolls.

sgimbel

Roy, When you sewed those did you leave extra room in each tube do just let the pen stretch it slightly so it's snug? Is it fleece? It's a great cheap idea.

JimB

Scott - I know you are asking Roy but I think my wife made mibe from velvet or something like that. Very soft and fairly thick. Lots of choices in Walmart or any other store like that. Make the pockets big enough. The pens won't stretch the material and you don't want them in that tight anyway. The flap holds everything in place when it is rolled up.

OKLAHOMAN

Scott, Jim is absolutely right, make the pockets large enough for the largest pen you make with room to slip it in and out easily. Fleece or heavy flannel material you should find at most fabric stores for anywhere a dollar a yard to three dollars a yard on their sale bins.

Gary Max

Roy there you go getting folks into trouble again----I am still trying to get my boss to make me 10 more cases.
Counting the upkeep can get costly-----:biggrin:

jimm1

Here is what I use. This is actually box #2, after the first slid off my jeep's roof and exploded on the pavement. It is simply 2 pine boxes, hinged together. The drawers are solid pieces with dadoes cut into them to fit the pens. I lined each drawer with felt. The inside sides of the boxes also have grooves cut in them in order to insert the drawer supports which are 1/8 inch thick, glued into the saw kerf sized grooves.

Attachments

• DSC04146 (640x426).jpg
    DSC04146 (640x426).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC04147 (640x426).jpg
    DSC04147 (640x426).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC04148 (640x426).jpg
    DSC04148 (640x426).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC04149 (640x426).jpg
    DSC04149 (640x426).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC04150 (640x426).jpg
    DSC04150 (640x426).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 197

DurocShark

My carry around is a roll-up. Cheap at any of the vendors.

I was considering making one out of microfiber cloth... (Yes, I can sew too...)

papNal

Thanks,I had thought about pouches.My BOSS lady is a world class sewer upper and since we gots lots more cloth than dollars will use the rolls along with the zipper cases I have.What kind of cloth do you use?Thanks John

Top Bottom