Pen Storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

As someone just starting out and beginning to accumulate pens, what do I do with them. How do you guys/gals store them? Do you buy the fancy cases, or make your own, or something else? I would rather not buy something and save that money for more pens. Any advice would be appreciated!

(Hopefully I will be able to sell some, and others as gifts... What I'm talking about is the rest of um)

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

best thing to do is buy those velvet pouches to keep the platings from getting damaged, some of the pen cases have elasticated bands which can mark your finish, seen this posted a couple of times, along with a story about not keeping your pens in the car during a hot day

Lenny

best thing to do is buy those velvet pouches to keep the platings from getting damaged, some of the pen cases have elasticated bands which can mark your finish, seen this posted a couple of times, along with a story about not keeping your pens in the car during a hot day

I bought a pen portfolio (the kind with elastic bands) and I keep it in my truck all day. =0(

It has worked out great for me though as I always have it nearby should a potential customer appear. Mine holds 48 pens and when I open it up to show off my wares it often ellicits gasps such as you might get from a kid seeing the Christmas tree Christmas morning. I'm sure having it has paid for itself in just the short time I've had it.

(Will have to watch out for those elastic bands though)

LouisQC

I made this little box holding 96 pens. Curly Makore with Wenge highlights :)

2733862794_abaa9d7900.jpg

2744444567_6272ff8c63.jpg

aggromere

exotic blanks sells some oversized plastic tubes that are nice for storing or shipping pens. I think they are only 60 cegnts a piece.

TX_Planes

Just saw my future in this post. I too am wondering what to do with my pens.

Louis what a wonderful case. An heirloom in itself.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Just a note concerning storage for new pens - let them cure good before enclosing them in a case or pouch. CA pens need at least 24 hours after finishing and 48 would be better. You might get a way with a few putting them in a case a few hours after finishing but in the long run, you will run into trouble.

Same goes for lacquer and poly type of finishes too.

Finishes need time to cure, de-gas or what ever before putting them in enclosures.

RichB

My son gave me a box from Woodcraft for Christmas. It holds 20 pens and is easy to carry around. The number is 146699. I don't do shows so I hardly ever have a lot of pens made.

Russianwolf

for storage, I prefer the velvet pen rolls from CSUSA. They are cheap ($6 each IIRC) and they don't take up a lot of space. They also don't have anything that puts pressure on the pen (aka the elastic bands)

Boomer

I went to Walmart and bought a plastic tackle box with the removeable inserts. About $ 6-8.00. I put some bought some soft clothe from the sewing department. I cut it up to fit the slots in the case and put my pens in that.

sbell111

We use two methods.

Cathy made two pen rolls that are very similar to the ones sold by CSUSA, except ours hold more pens. These were pretty easy to make. She knocked tehm out on teh sewing machine in no time.

Also, I bought a bunch of storage trays like these. They make it simple to go through 'stand by' inventory to find a specific pen. I also use a few of these on our table as displays. I threw together a few picture frames that are sized exactly to the top of the tray. The frame rests atop the tray (with the clear cover removed, and then a spacer is set under one end of the tray, raising it up to show off the pens. It looks (and works) much better than I am describing it.

jgdarby

Pen cases

I made a few of these using some scap oak, glass and 12x16 slotted display trays from GoPens.com. I use them for display at shows and to store them at the house. Each one holds 44 pens.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom