Pen sled help...please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I decided to build a sled for my bandsaw to cut my blanks. I built a sled 90 to the blade using a runner glued and screwed to a piece of oak. I attached a small fence whichi is also 90 to the blade. I place the blank on the outboard side of the blade, clamp to the fence and cut. HOWEVER, the blade wants to wander toward the throat of the bandsaw giving me an angle cut instead.:( I have played with different blade tensions as well as calibrating the bandsaw guides. Do you all have any ideas?[?][?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

It's not unusual for the blade not to cut parallel to the miter gauge slot. The condition is called drift. To get good resaw cuts when I do my flat woodworking, I set the fence based on the cut the blade wants to cut, not something on the table. Remove your sled, take a piece of scrap dry wood and draw a pencil line parallel from the long edge of the stock. Freehand cut along the line for a short distance. When you are staying on the line for at least an inch, hold the stock tightly to the table and shutoff the saw. Draw a pencil line along the edge of the board, on the table of the saw. That is the correct angle or line that your sled should be set to. If the blade is dull, forget everything I just tried to tell you and change the blade.

Rich

daledut

With a band saw almost all blade have a little bit of a wander.

When making a sled, here is the order to do it in.

Glue and screw your runner to the sled bottom.

Insert the runner in the miter slot and cut a slot in the sled base using the band saw, stopping with enough space for your fence.

Now attach your fence squared to the slot you just cut rather than the blade.

This method takes into account the blade wander.

The only problem is if you change blades it may be off again.

I actually took my miter gauge and cut a couple of scrap peices, making minor adjustments to the miter gauge until I have a square cut. Then I mounted a fence board on a sled base and attached it to my miter gauge via screws through the back. That way I can readjust as I need to for new blades.

Either way squares you to the cut not to the stationary blade.

Hope that helps a little.

dougle40

I cut all my blanks just using the miter gauge that came with the saw and cut slower than normal . Sometimes it's straight and sometimes it's not but that's why you cut them a little oversized , after all you're going to square them off anyway .

Doghouse

Low 48 is correct about drift. That is what your problem is. On thing to do (in addition to what he said) is to make your fence adjustable for drift. That way you can set it for each blade. Remember the set of the blade is where you get your drift angle from. As that changes from use the drift will change. If you change blades even to a new version of the same blade, the drift angle will change. Just keep that in mind as you have received some good advise already.

opfoto

Talk about great timing... I was going to make the sled based on the home page but noticed that I can't stay on the line either while cross-cutting even a 3/4" pen blank!!! (New 3/8" blade) I thought that it was due to low tension but I'll try to account for the wander/drift that is mentioned. Is it possible for the drift to be as much as 1/2 inch or more depending on length/type of cut??? Thanks for any additional input.

Gary

Marc, you have something wrong. In the posts above they are talking about ripping with a band saw. There should be no drift in a crosscut.

woodscavenger

We were all talking about a pen blank cross cut. Their advise sounds sound but now Gary says otherwise. Gary what should we do, what is wrong if we have crosscut drift?

Gary

I assumed from your posts above you were talking about ripping a board to make blanks.

When you are making a rip cut (cutting along the grain) a band saw usually doesn't cut perfectly straight, but instead tends to cut at a slight angle. This is referred to as "drift" or more commonly as "lead". Rather than fighting this tendency, it is best to compensate for it by using the techniques described above.

In a cross cut, there will be no lead if the band saw is properly set up. I use a sled just as you are describing and is described in the files at the yahoo pen turners file section. I use it every day, and it cuts perfectly square.

If your cross cut is not square then your sled is out of square or the band saw is not properly set up. A dull blade isn't the reason you're not cutting square. Without seeing your set up, I obviously can't tell you which it is. I would suggest you go back to your owner's manual and fine tune the set up.

One common problem is have the blade guide assembly set way too high, and that can lead to the blade deflecting. Make sure the assembly is dropped down as close to the piece you are cutting as possible.

On my sled, I drop the assembly down to where the blank barely clears the underneath the guide block. I have a small wooden block that sits on top of the sled fence that contacts the guide block once the cut through the blank is complete and stops me from cutting farther. Another common problem is for the table not to be perpendicular to the blade. Use a small machinist square and check that.

Daleduts suggestions for making the sled will help you get the best cut possible, but you still have to be set up properly. I hope this helps.

Gary

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />We were all talking about a pen blank cross cut. Their advise sounds sound but now Gary says otherwise. Gary what should we do, what is wrong if we have crosscut drift?

PLEASE...I didn't say those guys were wrong. I was talking about the procedure low 48 gave you. That is for correcting for lead during a rip cut. Daledut's advice for building the sled is good.

Geez...I just reread low 48's post. He is describing the same lead tendency I'm talking about. I should have read it more carefully. He's doing the same as Dale and carrying that concept over and applying it to a sled. I'm sorry I confused everyone.

randall844

This has nothing to do with pen blanks (since I've never cut any) but I just built a dollhouse and made a lot of fairly long rip cuts on the band saw. I've found that using a wide (3/4") blade rather than the 1/4" blade I previously used made it possible to make those cuts freehand with very little wander.

Gary

Yes...the wider blade definately is easier to control.With a real narrow blade, it's like trying to cut a straight line on a scroll saw.

Gregory Huey

Sounds like Rich,Dale and Gary are all on the right track. Me I still have one heck of a time trying to tune my saw correctly. I too have been cutting my blanks fat to over come the blade drift. If I get my saw tuned right I know how to set the sled now. Thanks guys

Gary

Well, power equipment has to be maintained. Twice a year, I take out an entire weekend and do nothing but clean and tune power tools. Once you do it, you can forget about it for awhile.

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Great, now I have to spend pen turning time tweaking my saw.

Gary

Also, get yourself some good blades. You will be glad you did. I like the low tension, Swedish silicon steel blades made by Timberwolf. For resawing the Wood Slicer from Highland Hardware is excellent.

txbob

Originally posted by Gary
<br />Also, get yourself some good blades. You will be glad you did. I like the low tension, Swedish silicon steel blades made by Timberwolf. For resawing the Wood Slicer from Highland Hardware is excellent.
Good advice. I use both the Timberwolf blades and the Wood Slicer.

I posted the article about the bandsaw pen sled. It contains no provision for compensating for blade drift, because in a cross cut 3/4" long there shouldn't be any. Not with a good blade on a properly tuned bandsaw. That's my experience for the last 10 or so years. When ripping parallel to the grain you must compensate for the blade drift, but it's minimal with the Wood Slicer.
Keep on turning,
Bob S. in Marble Falls, Texas

Originally posted by opfoto
<br />Ok... What width blade is ideal for pen blanks? What about TPI and set? Thanks for the help.
I use a 1/2" Timberwolf with 4TPI for ripping and crosscutting blanks. Have used 3/8" but just like the 1/2" better.

Gary

I keep a Timber Wolf 1/2" 4TPI blade on my Jet Bandsaw. I only change it if I need to cut tighter curves. It works fine with the pen sled. You can get them at Woodcraft and a number of other places.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=1040&FamilyID=4812

opfoto

I am on my way to Woodcraft. I want to be the 1st one there when they open. Thanks for the info. I'll report back when I have the new blade on the saw after I give it the "tune-up" that it needs....might as well change the plugs while I'm in there!!![;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom