Pen Skipping?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just informed me that the ink is skipping on some of the slimlines I turned about 2-3 weeks ago.

Has this happened to anyone before?

I have an order of three pens and I would sure hate to hear complaints.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

What kind of kits from what supplier do you use? I guess PSI. Here is an answer I just gave a few days ago:

"This topic comes up every 3-4 weeks. If you do a search you will find the answers. Well, for myself, I have made the experience that the refills coming with my kits are very good quality. I had customers return to me to get more refills since the brand name they bought did not write as good as the original - no-name-kit refill.
I use exclusively Berea ball point kits, and their refills are very good.
I think if you buy quality kits from Berea or CSUSA you will have good quality refills."

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />What kind of kits from what supplier do you use? I guess PSI. Here is an answer I just gave a few days ago:

They are Berea slimlines supplied from a well known seller. (I'd rather not mention the name)

PenPauli

I have had the same problem and was not happy selling expensive pens to my customers and a week later them telling me the pen skips. I thought it was unusual. Then my wifes pen did the same thing and a few others also. I was very upset. Called woodturningz who uses psi and explained the situation and they told me they couldnt do anything about it. I was not very happy about it so I no longer will buy the tn slimlines from them. I really do like the style of the tn slimlines they have but will now have to switch suppliers. Sorry about going on about this but when you tell a customer that they are paying for craftmenship and quality this just shouldnt happen.

atvrules1

Ron, I have a Cross pen that I have had for over 20 years and up until I started doing pens was all I used. I have been thru many brand name refills during that time and know that the regular refills also have problems with skipping. It also is worse during very dry humidity conditions. I'm not sure that there is much that can be done with it. I let the customers know that this can be a concern with some refills, and they usually are cool with it.

Thanks everyone.

I'm a little nervous selling something I feel may fail. I know the problem is not where I bought the kits from since all he does is resell them. But the manufacturer which I understand is in Taiwan.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Remember, you are creating a writing instrument. You are NOT creating a refill. I have had this discussion dozens of times with prospective customers-if you put a Mont Blanc refill in my European pen, will it write like a MontBlanc? (You'll save hundreds of dollars, the refills are about $7.00)

Conversely, if a refill I supplied goes bad, they understand that is not in my control. Simply providing them a free replacement (I carry Cross refills, on the blisterpack), makes them "Happy campers".

In fact, it has sold a few additional pens-they agree I am still selling them a really nice looking writing instrument and they can get the refills at Office Max, Depot, etc.

Take the blame for things you CAN control, refills and wood cracking are things you cannot control-tell them this up front!

alamocdc

Good point, Ed, and I agree with you. But it is important to note that my Cross pens with Cross brand refills in them have a tendency to skip from time to time and have since I got them 20 years ago. This is especially true if I am writing very quickly. So far, no problems reported with my PSI slimlines.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Billy,

The point (if there is one) is that customers will forgive you for things you can't control IFFFFF you handle the problem to their satisfaction. 1 in 18 customers will complain if they are unhappy-this is your BEST opportunity to make them "devotees"-if you handle the problem to THEIR satisfaction. Don't pass up these opportunities. These people are ripe to become your BEST customers and tell dozens of others how great YOU are, your products are secondary.

Sorry, so much for salesmanship 202 (hope you already successfully completed 101)[:)]

alamocdc

Ed, you are absolutely right and I couldn't agree more! "Service" is the biggest thing I see lacking in Customer Service in businesses today and why I always go the extra mile to make my customers happy. [:D] Something my grandfather taught me almost 40 years ago.

woodbutcher

On my upscale pens I always install a more expensive cartridge. Normally an extra few $ in money well spent, particularly if you are selling "CUSTOM". I save the unused new ones from the kit and occasionally give the customer an extra.
Jim[:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom