Pen size comparisons??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Trickrick

Being new to the world of pen turning I am curious if anyone has photos comparing some or all of the different pen kits?
I know that there are charts showing tube diameters, but a pic of completed pen would give me a much better idea of what they look like.
I have turned several Jr Gents, but am looking for a premium fountain pen kit to turn for me.
I tired a search but there were way too many threads that led in every direction. Maybe someone has taken a "group" photo several pens.
Thanks in advance for all that I have learned here already.

Trickrick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FrankP

Just browse the websites or catalogs, if you have them, off all the pen suppliers. They all have photos of their pens assembled. Some of the companies are Penn State Industries, Craft Supplies, Arizonasilhouette, and dozens and dozens more. This is how I have been getting ideas on what I want my pens to look like.

Dale Lynch

Timberbits has some great comparison photos showing several different styles side by side.Even if you don't buy from them you'll get the general idea of the size of the pens compared to oneanother.

jttheclockman

If you want photo comparison of all kits available you better start buying them and making up an albumn yourself because it is just impossible to compare all kits available.:):):) If you have a specific kit you want compared to then post that and maybe someone has done that. Or check through all the past posts doing a search. Good luck.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Generally speaking no one source has all of that comparison data, nor would they publish it if they did - they aren't going to show photos of competitors products next to their own. What you need to do is browse around and get an idea of pens that look good to you and you'll be able to find out how big they are.

beck3906

Hopefully someone will wake up this morning and be drinking coffee and see this

There could be a problem having pens in a group shot as you're discussing. Many folks turn pens with a different body shape. The body shape could cause a distorted image of what the body could really look like.

Trickrick

Thanks Ed!

Thanks Ed..... That's what I was looking for!
I am trying to get a feel for what I want to build as a fountain pen for ME.
I have turned a few Jr Gents and am wanting to upgrade to a higher end pen for my EDC pen. I have held an Apollo pen and felt like it was a little big for my liking.
If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

The Jr Gent I is going to be small compared to any of the new JR pens today. I have used a Gent I for an EDC pen for along time, if your wanting bigger try the going to Exotic Blanks and having a look at the Cambridge Hybrid Fountain Pen, its a great pen. If you love your Gent but want a nice FP option...Smitty has the Jr Gents with Bock nibs on sale right now at a d@mn good price.

Jgrden

Trickrick, It is late in the day after working the gallery and enjoying my first beer. Does that make me awake and alert?? The other guys have good answers to your questions, I just wanted to tease you a little. If you want to buy "small" kits, they are probably made in China. :eek:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Trickrick, It is late in the day after working the gallery and enjoying my first beer. Does that make me awake and alert?? The other guys have good answers to your questions, I just wanted to tease you a little. If you want to buy "small" kits, they are probably made in China. :eek:
Problem is it's not true - Dayacom, Berea, CSUSA and PSI all offer small kits that are not made in China (there are probably others too), and there are large kits that are made in China available from several sources. The size of the kit does not indicate where it was made.

76winger

Here's one I did about three years ago showing some different PSI sizes I had made at that time. Been wanting to do an updated but haven't gotten to it yet. Hope it helps.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pen Size Comparison.jpg
    Pen Size Comparison.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 164

Trickrick

Excellent help

Dave....great picture that answered even more questions.
Your Etsy page has some fine writing instruments shown, and I can only hope to put a few up to your caliber of pens.
I fear that I have launched straight up into the higher end pens, with size and character to match.
I have a few men's that supposed to be here tomorrow that I pan to start on.....now to go find something to show them off in.

I just took pictures of the Jr Gent 2 beside the Tycoon and several others and there really isn't that much difference in the sizes. I like the 12.5 10.5 size kits. The jr gent 1 and the americana style are just a bit smaller but not that much. The Jr. Gent 2 size is about my favorite kit and there are lots of them available that take exactly the same bushings and everything. Lets see Jr Gent 2, Atrax, Jr Statesman, Venus and the Vail (pointed out today in one of the posts) are exactly the same configuration. Also the Triton has a slightly shorter bottom tube but uses the same bushings. This is a great size to get into and they are all a step up from the Jr. Gent 1 .

Top Bottom