Pen Sells?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

winpooh498

We have sold quite a few pens now and are noticing a few things that we think are kind of strange. We make our pens out of all different kinds of wood, but the ones that seem to be selling the best are the plain looking domestic woods like oak, maple, walnut etc...(not even burls, and some without a lot of grain patterns!) They could be sitting right next to a beautiful Amboyna Burl, Buckeye or Ebony and all be the same price. But the "plain Jane" pens sell.
Does anyone else run into this or is it just our area?
Thanks for any input!
Dawn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I can't say I have experienced that enough to ag/disagree with you. But, I do have three delicious, stunning, knock-out beautiful burl pens (Barons & Jr. Gents) that have been in the display case at the art gallery for a year without selling. Gots me bumfuzzled why not. As a customer, I would pick them up first.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Some may like a handmade pen but are afraid the "fancier" more "beautiful" ones will grow legs and walk, as one did I sold a colleague at work.[:0]

And remember, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.

alamocdc

Dawn, I've not experienced that at all. But then I can't remember using a plain looking wood except for a few exotics. Buckeye burl sells as fast as I can make them b/c of where I live, but other burls and figured pens go as well.

cdcarter

I can easily believe that. It's true in a lot of things... those of us who are into turning gravitate to advanced stuff we do for our own enjoyment or to impress the guys down at the turning club, but that's not necessarily what the hoi polloi want.

But I don't sell pens, so take it with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by winpooh498
<br />We have sold quite a few pens now and are noticing a few things that we think are kind of strange. We make our pens out of all different kinds of wood, but the ones that seem to be selling the best are the plain looking domestic woods like oak, maple, walnut etc...(not even burls, and some without a lot of grain patterns!) They could be sitting right next to a beautiful Amboyna Burl, Buckeye or Ebony and all be the same price. But the "plain Jane" pens sell.
Does anyone else run into this or is it just our area?
Thanks for any input!
Dawn

gerryr

I always have a variety of woods and what has always sold best for me is highly figured wood, the more figured the better. I used to have quite a few pens from fairly plain domestic woods and I still have some of them. I just don't bother anymore because for me they don't sell well enough to make it worth the time. I sell a lot of dyed Box Elder and Maple, Amboyna, Afzelia, Buckeye, Redwood and Rosewood burl pens. Spalted domestic wood like Maple and Oak is a different story.

Gary Max

I just spent a 16 hour day at a show. Best selling pen today----30/06 and walnut----you will never be able to figure out why ----I am just glad to make the sale.

BernieW

I have noticed that also. My best selling pens are just plain jane wood. Walnut, Elm and Cherry seem to go best. I don't know why. I sell some Corian. Those 3 woods I can't make enough of in Slimline and Euro's. I had some Bocote, Paduck, Redheart, Rosewood, Zebrawood, and Wenge that I have had for a year or so. I finally gave them as Christmas gifts.

SteveRussell

Hello Dawn,

It depends on your market... My high figured wood pens sell better than the plain vanilla timbers in my higher end pen lines. The less expensive pens tend to sell about 50/50 with high figured and plain (straight) grain. My clients and collectors are about 99% women every year, so this may be of little use to you if your clients are a different mix.

Having said that, alternative pen materials (plastics, composites, antler, horn, Ivory, solid metal, etc.) outsell wooden pens (high figured or not) in my studio by a factor of 10 to 1. Good luck to you and best wishes in all of your woodturning endeavors!

Texatdurango

I've only sold a few pens but had an interesting experience. While having lunch with some ex co-workers recently, I was asked to bring some of my pens along. I brought an assortment of styles, mostly colored burls and highly figured exotic woods with no "plain jane" oak, mesquite, walnut, etc.

One friend commented, "these are all really nice.... but do you have any WOOD pens?"

We need to keep in mind that the "average Joe" may not be aware that the fancier burls are actually wood, especially when they have a glossy CA finish on them.

Perhaps, this could be one reason some tend to migrate towards the "plain woods"... because they are easily recognized as such!

Just a thought.

jrc

I sell only 7MM pens in a few different finishes, slimlines from woodturningz. Tapered or comfort from woodturningz and streamlines from Berea. With the different finishes I can have 9 to 12 different 7mm pens. I only use local waste wood from a local flooring business. I have the most beautiful highly figured Vermont hardwoods you can find and that is what my customers want, local woods. I save the best pens to trade for wood and it has worked great for the last two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom