Pen Selling Info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mattgatten

I apologize if this has been hashed and re-hashed numerous times. If it has, please point me at a link or something. I know many of you sell your pens. I've got just a few questions about it if you do.

1. After you decided you like making pens, how long was it before you decided to start selling them?

2. Do you sell a lot of them? If so, how many per year?

3. Which ones do you sell the most of? Wood and Style.

4. What is your 'average' pricing for your pens?

5. Do you purchase higher end kits? If so, which ones, where, and why that brand over xxxx brand?

6. What methods of selling do you use and what is working out the best for you? Craft Fairs, Art Shows, Ebay, Website, word of mouth, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

1. After you decided you like making pens, how long was it before you decided to start selling them?
Almost the same day

2. Do you sell a lot of them? If so, how many per year?
I don't really push them, but I have sold a few.

Equal of both.
4. What is your 'average' pricing for your pens?
I've sold between $25 and $75

5. Do you purchase higher end kits? If so, which ones, where, and why that brand over xxxx brand?

Just started buying mid to upper end kits. Mostly from CSUSA JR. Statesman, JR Gentleman and JR emporer.

6. What methods of selling do you use and what is working out the best for you? Craft Fairs, Art Shows, Ebay, Website, word of mouth, etc?

I have never done craft fairs. My sales has been from my website and I've sold some on ebay. And to some customers at my shop that I have shown them to.

hilltopper46

Originally posted by toolcrazy

Equal of both.

Hey, uh, Jeff... I think he means which woods (Bocote, Amboyna, cherry, etc) and which styles (Cigar, Slimline, Perfect Fit, etc) do we sell the most of.

I have sold more wood that the customers provided than any other wood (and that was mostly walnut) and more modified slimlines than any other style.

JohnU

Hi Matt, you wont have a problem selling any style, shape or material. Just find what you like to make and have fun with it. Once your friends and family see what your doing, you'll be suprised how fast people start asking. I dont think I would jump into the expensive kits until you make a few pens and get the basics down (shaping, sanding, FINISHING). Good Luck!

Top Bottom