Pen & Seam Ripper for someone with arthritis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I have been asked to make a pen and seam ripper for a friend of a friend with arthritis. Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate diameter? My initial thought was to start with a 3/4" blank and turn it as large as possible.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I think 1", maybe even 1 1/4" might be better. Depends on how much the person can close their hands with any gripping power. Jim S

Thanks, I do not know this person so I do not know how much gripping power they may have. Perhaps the 1" may be the ay to go.

Lucky2

Clay, for people with arthritis a click pen is better, they have a hard time when it comes to the twist tranny's. With the click pens, they can push the button by pressing it up against anything. With twist pens, they have to hold on to the pen with both hands to twist the refill out. My neighbor can't use a twist pen, she has arthritis in both hands. I had offered her many pens over the years, but, she'd never take one, finally I asked her why, and she told me about how hard it was to try to operate a twist pen. And that's when I started making click pens. She happilly accepted the first one I made. Another thing about pens for people with arthritis and their pens, is that mostly they like a medium thickness handle like a Sierra, Slimlines are to small for their hands.
Len

edstreet

Depending on where the problem is and how bad, what form and so forth it can vary greatly between person to person.

Besides click you have to consider things like shape, texture and weight. A large diameter but super light weight pen most may find better all around but above all this how they hold it matters greatly. As with ergonomics holding and placement is the key, this does change drastically with arthritis. Things like playdough, mold material like polycast, fast setting modeling clay and the like can come in handy.

Charlie_W

Cody,
Here are some closed end seam rippers which are a little longer than the tube. They fit in the hand very well with little force required to grip them. These are a little larger but can be made any size needed. These are from Woodcraft and don't require a spring sleeve inside the tube.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 330

JoeSr

I've had the same request for a large pen and I used the Guardian from PSI. It is a click pen with a large diameter and grippers.

Guardian Chrome Click Pen Kit at Penn State Industries

I have used the Guardian Jr. kit by PSI and even though it is a little thinner than the regular Guardian it feels good to grasp. I also have arthritis, the Guardian is a good kit to hold with the rubber inserts for grips.

Top Bottom