Pen salvaging?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dlddr

I made a closed-end gold baron rollerball pen out of mescalbean around 4 years ago, and have been using it on and off until now.
It's in pretty terrible condition, so I was wondering if it was possible to take out all the hardware thats been pushed into the pen, put it on a mandrel and re-sand and finish it, and put brand new baron hardware on? I want all the old, uneven CA finish sanded off and basically a brand new shiny coat and titanium or platinum (not gold, scratches too easily) hardware on it.
I don't have a lathe or even any shop tools anymore, so if there was someone on this forum who was able to take on this task for me, I could pay that person with some premium quality blanks and pen kits of some sort as I don't have much money. I could reimburse the person for the time invested on my pen, the new baron hardware, shipping fee and misc. If they require a closed-end baron mandrel to do the job, they can just have mine, I can send it in the envelope with the pen.
If someone's interested, please shoot me a PM or post on the thread!
I can post pictures of the pen if necessary.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I made a closed-end gold baron rollerball pen out of mescalbean around 4 years ago, and have been using it on and off until now.
It's in pretty terrible condition, so I was wondering if it was possible to take out all the hardware thats been pushed into the pen, put it on a mandrel and re-sand and finish it, and put brand new baron hardware on? I want all the old, uneven CA finish sanded off and basically a brand new shiny coat and titanium or platinum (not gold, scratches too easily) hardware on it.
I don't have a lathe or even any shop tools anymore, so if there was someone on this forum who was able to take on this task for me, I could pay that person with some premium quality blanks and pen kits of some sort as I don't have much money. I could reimburse the person for the time invested on my pen, the new baron hardware, shipping fee and misc. If they require a closed-end baron mandrel to do the job, they can just have mine, I can send it in the envelope with the pen.
I may get shot for suggesting this, but here goes. Send a pm to Curly (Peter Christensen), a good friend of mine who lives in Aldergrove BC. If he won't do it for you, I will.

Canadians helping Canadians!

theidlemind

It would be pretty difficult to get the components out of a closed end pen.
One would run the risk of cracking the blank. components glued in?
That being said, it would definitely be a challenge and worth a shot.
Definitely post some pictures

And, if nobody else steps up I'll give it a go......
Pm me if nobody else is dying to do it and we'll figure it out.

KenV

The challenge in most disassembly is not to damage either the hardware or the pen barrell.

If you have a spare set uf components for replacement, very high probability of recovery of the barrell. If Curly does not take the task, I am willing.

Been there and refinished pens a number of times.

Top Bottom