Pen request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmccarter

I have . Had a customer request a pen for a gift to a friend. She has asked for thin pen and some sort of book theme as her friend like as to read. Haven't been able to find any book related clips. Any other ideas? I guess some sort of decal is possible but open to all suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

Several years ago, I saw a pen made from an old paperback book. I don't have a copy of the article or a link to it. From what I remember, the turner glued pages of an old book together to make the blank, the traditional 3/4 x 3/4 x 5". He pressed the pages together to make sure the glue covered and dried evenly. When it was all dry, he drilled and tubed the blank then turned it like you would any other pen. From what I remember, I don't think you could actually see words but you did see some stray letters. The glue has to be clear and even. Pressing it is essential for a consistent product. I'll look around and see what I can find in my paper files.

Steve

Curly

The method of using glue and books has been around for a while. Ordinary white glue is the glue of choice. I remember seeing bowls made with the technique a few years back. Might have been in an AAW article. You might need to add thin CA as you turn or perhaps get it stabilized in some Cactus Juice if you prefer.

jttheclockman

Somebody here just tried it last week if I recall or was trying to. Do not have to look back far on older posts. To me find out the favorite book and make a wrap of the title or front of the book. Putting it on a slimline is not going to be easy though. Good luck.

Top Bottom