Pen Request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
I just got a request for a pen style from the 1860's. I have some wood from a local church I attended that has been raised it was built in 1863. The wood is covered now I need to figure out a style for the pen. Haven't had a lot of luck researching on line looking for type, and style. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tieflyer

Quills were used up to about 1800. Steel nibs became the norm around 1830 and a "real" fountain pen was patented close to 1890. You could do a spin on a dip style pen, make an actual dip pen or research true fountain pens from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I made a dip style twist pen for someone earlier this year. Came out pretty cool! Good luck and keep us posted!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
"Lewis Waterman patented the first practical fountain pen in 1884. Writing instruments designed to carry their own supply of ink had existed in principle for over one hundred years before Waterman's patent. For example, the oldest known fountain pen that has survived today was designed by a Frenchmen named M. Bion and dated 1702. Peregrin Williamson, a Baltimore shoemaker, received the first American patent for a pen in 1809. John Scheffer received a British patent in 1819 for his half quill, half metal pen that he attempted to mass manufacture. John Jacob Parker patented the first self-filling fountain pen in 1831. However, early fountain pen models were plagued by ink spills and other failures that left them impractical and hard to sell."

Probably a dip pen is your best bet, that might help narrow your search.

Last edited:
Top Bottom