Pen refills are junk. Where to get good ones?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

First I must apologize, I'm sure this has been covered many times. I've tried searching but come back with near 1000 returns. After page 3 I gave up.

It seems like the refills I've been getting from Penn State Ind. in either ink or gel just don't want to work. The gel flows too heavy or skips and the ink either doesn't work at all or will work only when the moon is properly aligned.

Where can I get good refills at a decent price? Thanks again for your patience and advise.

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

+1 for Ed and Dawn at Exoticblanks! Great folks to deal with, good products, quick delivery. Try their Private Reserve brand of refills. I think you'll be pleased.

joe

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
IndyPenDance. I use theirs and they are super, the price is competitive and the service is astounding. They too are members here and have always supported our local chapter with a table of good and door prize material at every meeting. You will be glad you ordered from them.
WB

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'm finding that the inks are fading out rather quickly.. both the kit refills (which
I usually scrap or use in junk pens I keep in the car) or even the premium refills.
Not sure if it is the inks, the index cards I write on, a combination of the two..
but I've got stuff I wrote a year ago that can barely be read now.
(and no, I'm not talking about my penmanship..)

mdburn_em

Most of my refills come from Exotic Blanks. I've gotten some from Colorado Pen Direct as well as PenRefills.com and I've been happy with all.

I typically waste no time with tossing the refill that comes with the kit into the trash beside my bench. I refuse to put something substandard into one of my pens.

I found that I needed to get a couple of pen kits from WoodCraft. I normally don't buy from them because they are simply soooo expensive in comparison to other vendors. Well, it was kind of an emergency (brought on by failure to properly plan on my part) and I went and purchased a couple of 7mm Euro's from them. I made the pens and didn't toss the refills.

I took one of the pens and "test drove" it for a couple days. (I made the mistake one time of giving a new (new to me kit type) to my pastor's wife. That was the biggest piece of junk pen kit I've ever seen. 5 kits purchased, 3 out of 3 successive failures. Tossed the remaining two kits in the trash.) That's why I test drive a new-to-me pen kit. I loved how the stock refill wrote. I went back to woodcraft and purchased one of their 10 packs of cross-style refills. I've got one in my pen right now and I've been using it for 4 days. No globbing, skipping or failing to start.

Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom