Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which way to face decals or trinkets???

• Pen "A" decals facing same as watch face

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • Pen "C" decals facing opposite way of watch face

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

jttheclockman

When I am able to return to my work shop I will be taking on various pen projects. One of them involves watch parts and decals. Now I have seen pens with decals and bottle caps and such. My question and poll has to do with a 2 piece pen (fountain or rollerball is not relevant) In the cap I will cast a watch face and that is obvious which way to face it. My question comes in on the lower half of the pen. Which way to face the decals or other trinkets I will be using???? Do I face them the same way as the cap watch face or do I face them opposite so that when writing with the pen they are facing down??? I have seen them both ways but as a poll I would like to get the majority opinion and if you care to elaborate please feel free to do so.

Now if at all possible I will probably try to follow the "B" pattern pen shown in the diagram. By the way please do not laugh at my drawing. I modeled the pens after a Baron kit:) In diagram "A" the decals face the same way as the watch face. In diagram "C" they face the opposite. Thank you for taking the time to read and vote.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Maybe my coffee this morning hasn't kicked in, but I'm not sure what you're asking here? Your saying you like option "b" but it's not in the poll.
Are you looking for validation for a second layout? Why not just stay with one layout?

Brooks803

B makes the most sense. The only hiccup I could see with doing them this way is if the user is left handed.

The other two would be dependent on the cap being posted or not. One way or the other the decals will be upside down. Whether it's being used or while sitting on a desk.

jttheclockman

I did not give "B" as a choice because it will not always be possible to do it that way. Without giving away what I will be attempting to do trust me it will have to be either "A" or "C" If a decal is long lengthwise it is better to see if laid out that way "B". That is the no brainer part of it. But if a decal is round it can be mounted any which way.

If anyone feels "B" is the better choice just voice it here. I am reading all replys.

jttheclockman

B makes the most sense. The only hiccup I could see with doing them this way is if the user is left handed.

The other two would be dependent on the cap being posted or not. One way or the other the decals will be upside down. Whether it's being used or while sitting on a desk.

Yes and there lies the question. Does it have more impact one way or another???

Here is the purist example of that that I could find on short notice. I hope Barry Gross does not mind. The photo is in his album so I do not think I violated any rules. Hope not. But it shows what I am saying. The pen on the left has the decals stacked the same way as the pen on the right has them stacked opposite each other.

1_DSCN4725-1.jpg

Last edited:

magier412

I would tend to face the decals in a manner that places them "upright" when the pen is closed. I don't know though...I could see it being the other way if the preference is for it to look "right" when the pen is open and in use if it is a post-able pen...but, to me, it wouldn't look right.

Just my opinion though.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
JT, would it work if the two decals were opposing each other? If there are two?
That way it couldn't be wrong..:biggrin:
Out of A or C, gotta be A....:wink:

MarkD

I think that you should come up with a way that allows the labels to "float" so that they are always in the correct orientation. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jttheclockman

JT, would it work if the two decals were opposing each other? If there are two?
That way it couldn't be wrong..:biggrin:
Out of A or C, gotta be A....:wink:

Only you Skip. Only you:biggrin:

I think what I may do is have 2 sets on each pen. Turn the pen one way and they line up and turn the pen 180 degrees they will be opposite.

I think that you should come up with a way that allows the labels to "float" so that they are always in the correct orientation. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Mark now this is what they call thinking outside the box. To the extreme. I like it.:biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Either?

John I don't think it makes any difference unless the pen is not postable. If it's postable if it is with the clock one way it will be opposed the other so you pays your money and takes your choice. If it is non postable I would vote for A.

Top Bottom