Pen Profiles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomG

I recevied the duplicator DVD from PSI which showed chess pieces along with a pen profile duplicator. The profiles that I have seen from Barons to Statesman on this site, are you all using duplicators or free hand? I think you are using free hand and the consistency of you profiles comes from experience but I'm not sure.

Next, does each pen kit come with insturctions on how to turn the pen. Example, the closed end Baron. Does the kit show you how to set up the lathe, mandrel etc.?

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jerryconn

I don't use a duplicator every one is hand turned, don't have anything againist them really, I just want to be able to say that they are turned by hand, not copies. The instructions generally come with the kit, but if they don't you can download them from the supplier of the kit. Instructions tell you the size of drill bit(s) needed and the bushings, orientation of the blanks on the mandrel (which isn't always correct) and how the assemble the parts. But after you put a few together they tend to start collecting dust. [;)]
Hope this helps.

JimGo

Most kits come with instructions, but they deal mostly with drilling (e.g., what size bits to use) and assembly (order of components). You can download some samples from http://www.woodworkerscatalog.com and http://www.arizonasilhouette.com though you won't find instructions on a closed-end pen there. That's a more advanced design/technique, and instrictions for that are found from other sources such as this site and http://www.woodturnerruss.com .

Most people here are turning their pens freehand. I have a duplicator, but it's still in the box. I hope to make a chess set some day with it! :)

smoky10

The closed end baron is not a type of kit but a modification of the baron kits. Most people use a pin chuck to make these pens but some have their own way of doing it. Before I got my pin chuck I would line my mandrel with the proper size "O" rings, force the blank over them and turn the blank. This worked well until I got my pin chuck. TOM

jeffj13

Tom,

I don't own a duplicator, all my turnings are free hand. Nothing wrong with a duplicator, it is just that I took up the hobby because I like to turn. Can't see letting a machine have all the fun.[:D]

jeff

bradh

You can buy wood pens at the dollar store. "Hand crafted" and "each pen is unique" are some of the alure of these pens. When you start using duplicators or CnC machines, you are now competing against factories in Taiwan and China. You have to have something more to offer your customers or you need to be selling for under $1.

its_virgil

...and let the duplicator have all of the fun?[:D] So, to your first question...no duplicator for most of us. There are a few who may use one. And for your next question, yes, each kit has its own set of instructions from cutting the blanks to final turning.
Have fun and ...
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by TomG
<br />... are you all using duplicators or free hand? I think you are using free hand and the consistency of you profiles comes from experience but I'm not sure.

Next, does each pen kit come with insturctions on how to turn the pen. Example, the closed end Baron. Does the kit show you how to set up the lathe, mandrel etc.?

Tom

TomG

Originally posted by bradh
<br />You can buy wood pens at the dollar store. "Hand crafted" and "each pen is unique" are some of the alure of these pens. When you start using duplicators or CnC machines, you are now competing against factories in Taiwan and China. You have to have something more to offer your customers or you need to be selling for under $1.

Actually the reason I was asking was to clarify that this was an art and not a factory. Turning by hand is what I want to do, just wanted to make sure that these duplicators were not the soul way to reproduce profiles. Thanks all.

Tom

Tom McMillan

I don't own a duplicator. However, one would be very nice to have to turn the first layer on my two layer pens. There's a lot of trial (and sometimes error), in coming up with a nice snug fit to make a blank to go into a drilled out top blank.

gerryr

Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />I don't own a duplicator. However, one would be very nice to have to turn the first layer on my two layer pens. There's a lot of trial (and sometimes error), in coming up with a nice snug fit to make a blank to go into a drilled out top blank.

Tom, I believe you are the only person here who has a legitimate requirement for a duplicator.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />I don't own a duplicator. However, one would be very nice to have to turn the first layer on my two layer pens. There's a lot of trial (and sometimes error), in coming up with a nice snug fit to make a blank to go into a drilled out top blank.
A duplicator may not fully accomplish that. The cutter does not leave a finish anywhere near as nice as you can. It would get you in the ballpark and then you'd still have to clean up the surface yourself.

My wife gave me a duplicator for my birthday, and all I ever use it for is turning square stock round (which it does admirably). I find it's still easier to do the rest freehand.

Regards,
Eric

huntersilver

I was wondering if a duplicator really would save that much time.

I think the art is choosing the right wood to go with the right
kit, cutting, drilling turning and a lot of finishing. If the duplicator only does only the turning part, I can't see the big time savings. Plus as others have said, for me I perfer to turn by hand as well.

alamocdc

Duplicator, we don't need no stinking duplicator. [}:)][:p] If I was doing production turning, I would probably consider a duplicator. But I wouldn't get as much for my pens then either. I guess you figured out that all mine are free hand.[;)] Besides, if I used a duplicator, I'd have to blame all the blown up blanks and oops, er, I mean design changes on the duplicator. As it is, I have to take the brunt of it.[:D]

jjenk02

I have two duplicators that I have used for production spindle turning, but I don't use it for pens... I have a contractor who I turn spindles for his stair cases and the duplicator makes that a breeze.

jcollazo

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />I think the art is choosing the right wood to go with the right
kit, cutting, drilling turning and a lot of finishing. If the duplicator only does only the turning part, I can't see the big time savings. Plus as others have said, for me I perfer to turn by hand as well.

I don't think Michaelangelo or Rembrandt would use a roller or HVLP either![}:)][:D]

bradh

Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />How's the parts on them one dollar pens? If they're any good, lets get some and dismantle them. I can't find any kits for that price.
Looks like 24k gold. Typical of made in China. The finished good is cheaper than we can by the parts?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom