Pen problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beep119

Hello all, I just finished an ultra cigar pen...turned out beautiful, but when I twist the top end to extend the ink...well it won't stay out. It slowly just retracts back in. Or some times it stays out, and won't come back in when I twist the top to bring it back in. Is there something wrong with the mechanism or something else? Has anyone had this issue before?
It does seem that the ink end isn't all the way out of the tip.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

partynekid

You may have trimmed too much off of the barrel. Some of the more expensive kits don't tolerate too much trimming.

TonyL

It may be any of the above. I gave one as a gift (Christmas grab bag) and it behaved the same way when the recipient tried it. Naturally, I test the pen first, especially since I always replace the refill with a Schmidt 9000, Fisher, (or 5888 for RBs).

I measured the barrel, but never replaced the mechanism (never thought of it until now...guess what I going to do now?). The barrel was fine, and I did replace the nib...but still no good. I eventually added a second spring (after trying to stretch the first spring). Oh yeah. I also played around with changing springs. The pen works great, and it is now one of mine.

gratz

I've had something like that happen where the top of the refill was sticking/binding where it slides into the transmission, I tiny bit of sanding solved it.

beep119

Ok it was the nib...was catching on something and not going all the way out.
Just played with it a bit..forcefully actually...and it works fine now.
Thank you for the help.

Top Bottom