To "Pen Press" or "not to pen press"??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I use a 3/4 inch pipe clamp, the ones used for glueing up lumber. I just put a block of wood on each jaw. You can go slow and it works well for me. I cut a piece of pipe off and made a short one. Works fine for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There are a lot of options for pressing a pen together. Which we use is a personal preference. I use the lathe with a piece of dowel in the hear and tail because it is there, works every time, and the pressure and movement are controllable.

bradh

Anyone have a picture of their set-up for using the HF Arbor press.
I do not use any special plates, just blocks of softwood or softwood plywood. I epoxied a piece of plywood to the bottom of the ram:

Attachments

• as-tran.JPG
    as-tran.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 198
  • as-nib.JPG
    as-nib.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 189

Ligget

I have used a pen press, arbor press etc., but I prefer my sash clamp as I have more control/feel of the pressure I am applying. Picture of a similar sash clamp below.

sashclamp.jpg

Bree

Well I have been corrupted. I bought a 1 ton HF arbor press a couple of hours ago. $49... I couldn't resist. And you guys forced me to go over there and buy that $59 pressure paint pot as well!! It is sooooo hard keeping up with the neighbors these days!!
:redface::redface::redface:

PS... Stuff was on sale.

Top Bottom