To "Pen Press" or "not to pen press"??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregHaugen

After recently talking with a supplier from Arizona, :rolleyes: I wonder who it could be, about the fact that I didn't see a pen press on their site. They said they'd recommend an HF Arbor Press (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3552) over a pen press. I'm curious what you use for this application of the pen making process??

A pen press

An arbor press

The headstock/tailstock attachment that CS sells.

Or something else?

Wheaties

I just use a vise. It's a wood vise, not a metal vise though. Haven't had any problems. Just as with anything, go slow and constantly monitor the progress.

mdburn_em

I own the PSI pen press and that's what I use.

If I could do it over again, I would have bought the arbor press. Still might and then sell the pen press.

pianomanpj

I use my lathe. I turned two blocks from oak that will fit into the #2MT in the headstock and tailstock. I advance the tailstock enough so I can put the pieces to press between the blocks and I lock it in place. I then advance the ram to actually press the pieces. If the ram is too far advance, I back it out and slide the tailstock closer and start again. I've been doing this since day one and has always given me great results. I also like the precise control that you just can't get with a press.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
HF arbor press in the shop. Lathe headstock and tailstock with blocks when I am out doing demos. Used to use the drill press but just found the arbor press is quicker because I don't have to get off my stool at my assembly table (call me lazy)! :eek:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I like the arbor press, cause it's vertical. Gravity helps me.

Also have replaced the "bed" with a corian piece that has drilled out places for the threads to go, so the pressure is on the hardware, not the threads (Jr. Gent type design).

Daniel

Arbor Press, I even made it to specifically press pens by adding leather pads to it. My only complaint is that I got the little one. I think it is a one ton, rather than the next size up. worst savings of $10 or $20 I have ever made. That Arizona guy is very well known for selling only quality. and that rep is well deserved, I am not surprised one bit that he does not offer a pen press.

OKLAHOMAN

I use a PHD (Paul Huffman Designs) press.

DSCF00061.jpg

Bree

I use a pen press I made. Simple, adjustable but it works well.
sCIMG4640.jpg

sCIMG4639.jpg

The little insert is useful in many circumstances.
:cool::cool::cool:

Daniel

Bree, I am sorry but this conversation was not intended for people with Do It Yourself inclinations. I mean we all know how much it costs to make a Pen, are you trying to bankrupt us all with things like this to make for ourselves?

Bree

Bree, I am sorry but this conversation was not intended for people with Do It Yourself inclinations. I mean we all know how much it costs to make a Pen, are you trying to bankrupt us all with things like this to make for ourselves?

UR very correct! Sorry I lost my senses!! LOL!!
:eek::eek::eek:

stolicky

I have used my bench vise for over 99% of the pens I have made. I have wooden pads on it I made, and leather pads on those so there is a soft material against the hardware. The leather pads were purchased from that guy in Arizona.

Note - the one time I attempted to use a pen press I cracked the barrel!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I like the arbor press, cause it's vertical. Gravity helps me.

Also have replaced the "bed" with a corian piece that has drilled out places for the threads to go, so the pressure is on the hardware, not the threads (Jr. Gent type design).

Ok, I'll ask the dumb question....:redface:
How do you press the threaded couplers in without pressing on the threads?
On Jr's I use an old finial and screw it onto the threads then press it in. How will a recess for the threads work?:confused:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As I thought about the way I use this, I realized it is not to push in the components, so "Never Mind"!!!!!

Last edited:

dale

Im still new at pen making. been using a hand clamp.. broke 4 of them. Never thought about the arbor that HF sells. So thanks for the information. Next trip to Springfieldl MO i will get one.

Thanks again
dale

Grizz

Banned
My pen press.

I have used many different versions. But this home made pen press is my favorite.

Attached is a couple of pics. And a diagram in .doc format.

Attachments

• Pen Press.jpg
    Pen Press.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 411
  • pen press2.jpg
    pen press2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,059

Grizz

Banned
plans here.

Oops. Here is the plan/diagram for the Pen Press.

Attachments

• Pen Press Plans.jpg
    Pen Press Plans.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,123

Rifleman1776

I haven't read all the many responses on this yet. But, it is obvious you hit a hot button with this topic.
My take is that a pen press is not absolutely necessary for pen making. I used my bench vise for several years before acquiring a real press.
And, there are many alternatives to a specifically designed press as has been shown.
Make some pens, decide if you are going to stick with this as an avocation, then decide if the increase in efficiency by using a press is what you want.
What works for you is all that is important.

Top Bottom