pen press jigging

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

i was wondering if anyone's come up with a clever idea for pressing the pen parts together?

i've already broken a few clamps putting mine together! i'm thinking the drill press with some sort of jig will work... any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Malainse

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22916&SearchTerms=pen%2Bpress

Use the search and will get a bunch more...[;)]

there are plans for this month's project, a shop-made clamp (like a bar clamp, only from wood and a 5/16" bolt)
I might try this, since my pen press jig "lunges" at that last moment when you want to move 1/32" more ....
this is on woodworkersjournal ( http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/freeplans.cfm )

cozee

All I use is my DP with a piece of a 1/2" wooden dowel in the chuck. I place a piece 1 by pine on the DP table and press away.

ahoiberg

i've gotten some great ideas, i'm going to try out a few of them.
1) the aluminum clamp from harbor freight with a wood spacer... a question regarding this one... do your pens come out the exact same length every time because i could swear there is a little discrepancy in the tube sizing sometimes... anyone else have this problem?

2) the drill press with a small block of MDF or ply with some 1/4" bolts sticking up through it to place the finished parts of the pen over and press down on with the drill press... got the idea from a commercially available one on craft supplies (i think).

i'll post some pics when i get them built up.

thanks for all your help!

kmab

I use the bar clamp from HF but not the spacers. I padded my clamp jaws with a small square of hardwood with a dimple (countersink) in the center of the pad to help align and hold the parts in place. I've seen others, especially using an arbor press, use the spacer but it never made sense to me either, perhaps it helps keep the press from inadvertently going too far. That's why I like the control of a screw. It's difficult to press to far or too hard and for pens of different lengths I don't need a spacer for each kit and if each pen of the same type are not exactly the same length I don't need to tweak the spacer.

Rmartin

I'm with Micheal. I've never understood the advantage of using a press. I've seen some beautiful ones, but to me, no matter how well made, they still have problems with pressing too far. I bought a light weight aluminum bar clamp, and use it to twist/screw the pen together.

Awoodfan

Well my press is highly technical I'm afarid. It's called a 6" vise with oak jaws. I gives me all the control I need.

Ron

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20061152844_blk-wte%20revsquare.gif
<br />

ahoiberg

i made up both systems last night, one with the HF clamp and one with the bolts on the drill press. both seem like they'll work really well. i had half of a pen that i messed up early on, so i used it as a test to see how the drill press one works and it worked great. i haven't tested the HF clamp one yet as i'm waiting for the glue on the maple pads to dry but i suspect it'll work like a charm as well. i'll shoot some pictures of the drill press one when i get a chance since everyone's already seen the HF system.

thanks!

airrat

Andrew I have found out then when making any pen with a cross transmission there is always a little discrepancy in length. Could be from squaring the ends or tubes being different lengths. I generally push the transmission in until just about the indentation ring. Then put the refill on and see how close it is.

If I push it too far in, it only takes me about 30 sec to disassemble it and redo.

Most of your other kits will be pushed until they seat. (at least the ones I have done)

ahoiberg

i've found the same thing, tom. do you have a disassemble kit or have you jigged something up to help out in that regard?

dozer

I use a $2 can crusher I picked up at Harbor Freight. I glued a block of hardwood to the in side top and bottom so far it has worked just fine for me.

alamocdc

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />i've found the same thing, tom. do you have a disassemble kit or have you jigged something up to help out in that regard?

Andrew, I'm not Tom, but I (and many others) use the transfer punch set from HF to disassemble pens. I've yet to find a pen I can't get apart with it.

latech15

Maybe I am crude but I just use the drill press. I don't chuck anything in it or anything. I just put the tip of the pen under the flat part on the chuck and lower her down. I have occasionally put a small block of wood under the end so that it pushed dont uniformly but ost of the time I just push one side in and then the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom