Pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMcMillan

So, I have just recently decided to start turning pens and was wondering what everyone recommends for a pen press. It seems that they all look fairly similiar, but wanted the opinion of those that have been at it for a while.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ivel

I use these because I already had them.

038548014883.jpg

image_18449.jpg

So, I have just recently decided to start turning pens and was wondering what everyone recommends for a pen press. It seems that they all look fairly similiar, but wanted the opinion of those that have been at it for a while.

I received my pen press (Item #: PENPRESS5) from PSI in a kit when I first started turning pens. It works great but it does require some modifications. On the plastic piece where the tip fits into a hole, on the lighter metals it has a tendency to put crimp marks around the pen tip. I took a quarter ($.25), used a counter sink bit and made a dimple pretty deep in the quarter but not all the way through. That way the tip isn't pressed into the plastic housing and the crimp mark doesn't show. Why a quarter? It's thick enough to handle the bit and also almost completely covers the plastic piece.

mecompco

I've assembled all my pens on the lathe. Simply turn a couple of MT2ish tapers on some hardwood and make sure the big end is square. I used an old plastic cutting board for protective tips--just epoxy them on. When the tips get chewed up, just re-face or replace. Works great for free.

I usually use one of PSI's, but have also used a woodworker's vise, bar clamp and the lathe. All work equally well, just a matter of personal preference.

Russknan

Love, love, LOVE the Milescraft! Quality construction. Easy to use. I just clamp it to the bench when I need it. Russ

Warren White

This is what I have used...

...and it does everything I need. It has a pin on one end that keeps the blank centered (and it can be removed when needed). It fits into the Morse taper, one part on the head stock and one part on the tail stock.

Craft Supplies Artisan Pen-Ultimate Assembly Tool
Part# 1027970001 $19.95

Attachments

• art_pen_ult_ase_too.jpg
    art_pen_ult_ase_too.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 130
Top Bottom