Pen Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

keppar

Hi All
I would like to purchase a pen press ,does anyone know where I can purchase these..P.S I live in Australia[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Is there any where that sells an arbor press?
Even here in the states presses that are made for pens are ridiculously over priced, but there are other"presses" that work as well if not better than those made for pens.
Recently a bottle capper was pictured.
Try a search. there have been homemade ones posted.
Some use a drill press with a "turned ram" chucked into the jacobs chuck.
I started out with a screw type clamp.
Though a press with control is good, the suppliers tend to charge more for things that have"pen" asspciated with it.
This is a picture of a "press" Grizzly industrial had closed out.The modofication was made by jwoodwright.(great job I might add.)
I am posting this picture to give an example of things that can be used for a pen press.
I bought mine(shipping included) for $20.00.
A proprietary "pen press" sell in the neighborhood of $40.00 and are nowhere as roubust as this one.Mine is labeled "paper punch"
It might take a little searching but look around and possibly use something else you have on hand until to locate a press that is reasonably priced.
200521272759_Turret%20Style%20Pen%20Press%20005.jpg

JimGo

I've started using one of these to press my pens:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46806
46805.gif

What's nice is they don't generate TOO much force, so I'm less likely to screw up. Plus, it's always handy to have an extra clamp around!

You can also check http://www.pennstateindustries.com and http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com - I know they both carry pen presses, and I am pretty sure they will both ship to Australia.

Finally, hopefully Darley will check in; he's in your neck-of-the-woods (or world, as the case may be) and may be able to give you a lead on a more local supplier.

nilsatcraft

We carry the $40 pen presses that Eagle mentioned. They're not as robust as the one he shows, but they work great and are easy to use (and easy to find [:D]). They can be viewed here... http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=379-2001
And here's the picture:

200566141454_379-2001.jpg

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
PS- We'll gladly ship it to you in Australia.

elody21

Originally posted by keppar
<br />Hi All
I would like to purchase a pen press ,does anyone know where I can purchase these..P.S I live in Australia[?]
Doyou have a drill press? I epoxied a piece of corian to a bolt and use that in my drill press.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I've started using one of these to press my pens:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46806
46805.gif

What's nice is they don't generate TOO much force, so I'm less likely to screw up. Plus, it's always handy to have an extra clamp around!
You can also check http://www.pennstateindustries.com and http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com - I know they both carry pen presses, and I am pretty sure they will both ship to Australia.

Finally, hopefully Darley will check in; he's in your neck-of-the-woods (or world, as the case may be) and may be able to give you a lead on a more local supplier.

Jim I have used one like that and wore it out.
The other thing I didn't like about it was that at times it would catch the "ratchet" and advance too far.
The up side was I learned to disassemble pens quickly and efficiently.
A wwking clamp with handscrew similar to a Bessy would be a better choice.The "screw" is a little more controllable.

As afar as the one Nils Pictured I contemplated adapting a "piston" nut cracker that you can buy for $10.00 to do the same thing.
We have them in hardware stores around here and I have seen them at flea markets for far less.
Also recently I have seen posted a slick home made one that,if I didn't already have the arbor press, I would make in a heart beat.
I would rather invest the money in other supplies more important.

JimGo

Eagle,
I hope to be as prolific as you and wear out my press! I too applied a little too much pressure the first time I used it (inserted the transmission a bit too far!), but after 2 pens or so, I can do pretty well with it now.

I saw the homemade pen press too; unfortunately, it will cost more in time and materials than the clamp I am using, or the one you and MDWine suggested, and I'm not sure it will do much better.

The "piston" nut cracer could be interesting!

woodwish

I bought one from CSUSA like Nils showed in his post. I love using it except the base would flex in use and not make it as accurate as I would like. I drilled some holes in the base plate and screwed it to a scrap of hardwood (piece of a pallet) to stiffen it. I can also use the wood piece to clamp it in my bench vise for use. It make it more accurate and I like having it in the vise so it doesn't move. I tried clamps and felt like I always needed three or more hands. Also used a bolt mounted in the drill press, it worked pretty good but like the CSUSA press better. I also made some hardwood pieces the exact length of critical insertion lengths, like where the transmission stops at the magical point of being just right. Now I just press until the hardwood piece stops the press movement. I also cut a groove in the wood pieces to help line up parts. Works for me anyway [:p]

alamocdc

For SLs I use almost the same clamp that Jim does (got mine at HF too, but it's a slightly different model. For largeer pens, I turned two oak "blocks" and drilled out one side with a Forstner bit to fit the head and tail stocks of my lathe. Then I use the tail stock to seat the parts. I got the idea from a post here not so long ago.

woodscavenger

"The up side was I learned to disassemble pens quickly and efficiently." LOL! That kills me. Nice one Eagle.[:D]

I imagine they sell drill presses down there don't they? Why not use your drill press? I used mine for the first few month until I found an arbor press at harbor freight for about $15. They both work great.

I use a 3/8 inch dowel glued into a 1 inch dowel and then chucked into the drill press.

I also watched how to make a pen on How It Is Made on Discovery Channel. That guy used a bench vise. He had a block of wood with a groove in it that the pen sat in. Then he just closed the vise to clamp the pen together. Pretty slick but I still like my drill press. However, it can mean you have to take out the dowel and put in a drill bit on occasion unless you're really organized. I'm not!!

Regards

Barry in London, Ontario, Canada

keppar

Thanks guys ,as a new member it's good to see how many people out there are willing to help[:)][:)]

MDWine

I bought one similar to Nils' at Woodcraft.
I didn't want to spend the time to reinvent, so I just bought one.
Sometimes, when I need some very "finite" control, I use the hand screw.

jwoodwright

Eagle showed one photo, here's another... This shows the press before modifying and adding the turret adjustment. Also shows 1/2 ton Arbor Press from Grizzly and my "nut cracker" press. I've used clamps, bench vise, woodworkers vise, drill press and finally the nut cracker, Arbor Press and then this new press. Eagle was inspiration for some of the Mods. The ram is a 3/8" bolt cut off and embedded in Corian, the turned to shape. Poly Glue. Put Glue on threads and into Corian, clamped it overnight.

2005680407_Arbor%20and%20Pen%20Press.jpg
<br />

Finally, I use one press, this one, set-up to "Automatically" size, thanks to Eagle's suggestions. I merely "beat him to it"...

That's a Corian Base Plate on the press, tapped and threaded for a bolt as the pivot for the turret. The Arbor Press is due to get a "New" turret as well. Stay tuned...

2005680456_Turret%20Style%20Pen%20Press%20005.jpg
<br />

I use a pipe clamp with a pipe that is about 16" long. Leather on the ends protects the pen parts and the crank handle lets me ease the pieces together. Can also be used on other projects.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom