Pen from Pistol Casings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knottyharry

There are several who have asked about bullet type pens made from pistol casings.
Here is one I just finished. I used two 45 cal. pistol casings, and put pruple heart on the ends. It isn't a bright purple like I would like for it to be, but i'm going to put it in the sun and see what happens.
Harry

20051026191823_colt-45-01.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwpenworks

beautiful pen. I'm sure the sun light will help bring out the purple. any advice on how to do the centerband part for those who haven't done a pen like this yet.

GregMuller

Harry,
How did you attach the wood to the caseing and are there tubes inside both the wood and the caseings. I will be shooting for work in november and will be collecting some of the brass. 40 cal S&W if anyone is interested in some trading.

Greg Muller

knottyharry

Greg,
You figure for length, and add about a quarter of an inch or so, and turn a tenon that goes inside the casing. Then it is glued into the casing.
And yes the brass tube goes all the way through.
Just think of the whole thing as a wood blank.
Harry

knottyharry

Greg,
I actually cut the wood, and drill it. Then glue the tube into the wood. Then put it on the lathe and turn the wooden piece close to the finished size. (Do them both at the same time) Then turn the tenon, and check it for fit. I have already drilled the back of the casing, so once you get the fit you want for the tenon, glue it in place and finish it.
Harry

terrymiller

have you tried baking the purple heart, I bake mine at 400 for about 20 minutes, this make a real deep vibrant purple. do a search here this were I learned about that tip.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Back in the early spring I was experimenting with pistol casings.
This was a "save" along the same lines as yours.
I never liked it and Lou made a nice comment about it so now he is the proud( I think) owner of the "spark plug pen"

2005112135158_antlercasingsparkplug%20008.jpg
<br />

2005112135324_longwood.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom