pen pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Skip,

If you are making a website, I take the liberty of assuming that it is for the purpose of selling your pens. If that is indeed the case, it is my strong opinion that the photos on your site should be of your pens.

Pen Maker

Skip,

There are tons of galleries on the world wide web, but none that I'd put in mine!

FWIW

OKLAHOMAN

Skip,I have to agree that if, and we'er assuming here that your thinking of selling off of your site you need to use photo's of your work not someone elses.

rjwolfe3

Hey guys, he may be talking about examples to show potential customers so that he can make more pens. Nothing wrong with that if he has permission to use the photos. His pens for sale will probably be shown with his own photos. I am making assumptions as well with this. He may not want to start with an empty website.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey guys, he may be talking about examples to show potential customers so that he can make more pens. Nothing wrong with that if he has permission to use the photos. His pens for sale will probably be shown with his own photos. I am making assumptions as well with this. He may not want to start with an empty website.

Rob,

This is a KIND and GENEROUS interpretation. Let's all assume he is correct!

Skip, maybe you should MAKE pens first, THEN sell them ---- trying to make a pen that looks like "Oklahoman's" (or any one of several dozen others) is NOT as easy as putting it on the lathe and waiting for the beauty to emerge.

Pen Maker

Ed, you should be hovering over those slabs of PR, getting it ready for the band saw on Saturday. Lathes await !!!

jimbob91577

Interesting discussion - say a person wanted to put together a page showing the various types of Sierra pen kits out there as an idea of what could be made, but hasn't turned say the Fisher's of Men pen thus doesn't have a photograph to use - is this taboo, or should he be able to do that?

Along these same lines, should he have to do that with wood samples too? Say he wanted to show a prospective buyer different samples of wood or acrylic on his website, should he be able to do that without purchasing the blank?

An argument could be made that by showing the Fisher's of Men pen and a Cactus Blank - if the prospective customer ordered a custom pen, then the suppliers of the materials would benefit without any additional cost...

Thoughts?

rjwolfe3

I just know that if I followed this line of reasoning, then I would have never sold the Statesman and Emperor off of my site. I for one would never buy the kits just to try out. But my customer liked them enough to order several. The photo I had was used with permission.

(Ack, I was really trying to stay out of this discussion again. We went down this road just a couple of months ago.)

OKLAHOMAN

IMHO if you going to show a pen you haven't made and don't stock .Why?
If your showing something you want to sell you NEED to have it in stock and as least have made one. Next if your going to give the customer pictures of blank being Acrylic,wood,cactus,antler to pick from remember that the finished product is what we'er selling, also get permission to use pictures BTW thanks to Nolan and my vendors for permission on my developing site.
Interesting discussion - say a person wanted to put together a page showing the various types of Sierra pen kits out there as an idea of what could be made, but hasn't turned say the Fisher's of Men pen thus doesn't have a photograph to use - is this taboo, or should he be able to do that?

Along these same lines, should he have to do that with wood samples too? Say he wanted to show a prospective buyer different samples of wood or acrylic on his website, should he be able to do that without purchasing the blank?

An argument could be made that by showing the Fisher's of Men pen and a Cactus Blank - if the prospective customer ordered a custom pen, then the suppliers of the materials would benefit without any additional cost...

Thoughts?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed, you should be hovering over those slabs of PR, getting it ready for the band saw on Saturday. Lathes await !!!

Much of it is next to the bandsaw as we type. And it pertains to this conversation. IF you post a picture of one of the pens I make from SOME of those blanks, YOU MAY BE quite surprised when YOU try to turn it.

That's why I'd say, turn first, sell second.

chriselle

Much of it is next to the bandsaw as we type. And it pertains to this conversation. IF you post a picture of one of the pens I make from SOME of those blanks, YOU MAY BE quite surprised when YOU try to turn it.

That's why I'd say, turn first, sell second.

Good one....

BTW, Ed. Tell Dawn to get a hold of me....We gots a SCORE to settle..:wink:

GaryMadore

You'd be most welcome to use photos of any of my pens, but if your goal is indeed to sell pens, well, photos of mine would likely prove counter-productive! :D

I can see it now: "No, really - I can make you the same pen, but it won't be so screwed up and ugly..." heh heh

Cheers!

Gary

Skip_Evans

Pens and pictures

I have made approximately 100 pens of all kinds so far. I was looking for pictures that could be reduced and used as buttons. I am not trying to use another's picture to sell the pen.
Sorry if there was some confusion.

This is a hobby for me. Creating the website and working with the code is as much a hobby to me as creating the pens. I am an IT techie.

Russianwolf

Chris,

She says she doesn't have an answer for you yet. (That's all I know - flogging me won't help!!)

but flogging you is SOOO much fun, Ed. :tongue:

I agree with what Ed says above though. Every pic on my site represents an individual pen, I take pics of each and every one since the graining of the wood or the swirls in the plastic WILL vary in each pen. I want the customer to get exactly what they order.

Have you started taking pictures of your own pens? If so, any photo editor should allow you to shrink the image. Now if you aren't happy with your photo skills, that's another issue.

Skip_Evans

Pens and pictures

I have taken a few pics and YES, they need work.That is just more skill to learn. Has anyone really thought about how many skills we need to pursue this hobby.
1. craftsman
2.salesman
3. software programmer
4. photographer
5. accountant
6. Negotiator (with SWMBO)
7. Postal expert
8. shipping and receiving clerk.

What else???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

As the CEO of a small business for over 30 years, let me assure you it requires NO special skills.

Only
Negotiate with banks
Negotiate with IRS
Negotiate with state dept of Rev
Negotiate with customers
Negotiate with employees
Negotiate with suppliers
Negotiate with shippers
Negotiate with wife and kids

not in any particular order, that depends on the day.

SEE, it's EASY!!!

Oh, if you make a mistake, you are only 100% at fault and all the above will claim ALL your assets. So, there's really no pressure.

OKLAHOMAN

Skip, thanks for clearing this up, but I'm still a little confused. Could you not just use your photos and reduce them to use as buttons. BTW that is a neat idea.

I have made approximately 100 pens of all kinds so far. I was looking for pictures that could be reduced and used as buttons. I am not trying to use another's picture to sell the pen.
Sorry if there was some confusion.

This is a hobby for me. Creating the website and working with the code is as much a hobby to me as creating the pens. I am an IT techie.

Skip_Evans

My pics are OK, but not of the quality I would like. Someone has a site with the nib ends of a fountain pen as buttons. I was looking for something similar.

Texatdurango

Skip, I've got a lot of photos of pens I've made and some are pretty decent. Visit my website and knock your socks off if you see anything you like. While you are building your website here is something you might want to consider doing, I started doing this last summer......

I will frequently have someone visit my site, see a pen they like but not with the finish or blank they would prefer and will contact me asking about making a custom pen for them. Last week a customer knew he wanted an emperor pen and wanted to know if I could use Olivewood without the small cross as I do on some smaller pens. We agreed on a price and I made the pen and in a few days emailed him the URL to his customized "hidden" or "private" page to use to pay for the pen.

I find this is an easy way to accomodate custom orders without modifying the main pages. It's easy to just use this one page over and over, just changing the names and photos and add any custom accessories they may want.

The reason I mention all this is that you don't have to have a photo of EVERY pen you have made or have for sale. There will ALWAYS be someone wanting something you don't have. Here is a sample of my neat little idea... http://georges-penworks.com/custom-order-austin.html

Skip_Evans

George,

Thanks for the offer. I looked at your site and the pics are superb. I think I will take you up on your offer if you don't mind.

I like the idea of the special page for someone's completed pen. An idea I was considering is creating a page that is passworded. Everyone wonders what is behind the closed door. I thought I would advertise this area for high end pens and come up with something that would warrant giving a person the password. I just have not figured that part out yet.

I would love to discuss your photography. If you have any hints or suggestions, let's PM each other. I really like shooting the pens on a mirror. No fluff to worry about.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom